Part Six- Hair

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. 

I groan of tiredness as I weakly throw my hand up to touch my alarm clock. 

But I don't feel anything. 

I yawn as I sit up and stare at my alarm clock, reaching out my hand once again and slamming the OFF button with my hand, sighing as it turns off and remains placed on my small nightstand. 

I sit up from my bed and begin to get dressed, pulling on some black jeans and a plain grey New York University itchy sweatshirt over my tank top. 

Even Mother was young once too- Smart, Kind, Caring. That's not the drug-addicted and smoke-addicted woman she is now. 

 I shake my head and decide to make my way out my bedroom door and into the bathroom. 

I rub my eyes and grab my green toothbrush, inserting some zany weird toothpaste on top of the brush. 

Right as I reach for the faucet, I look at my reflection in the face mirror on my right that my mother uses for makeup. 

I immediately drop my toothbrush and tangle my fingers onto my hair. 

My hair is plain white. 

My auburn chestnut hair has been swallowed by white hair. 

White fucking hair! 

My hair, Is fucking white! 

I shake my head frantically and turn on the faucet, seeming for like buckets of so little water onto my eyes. 

It's not real, it's not real! It's just your imagination! 

As I look up from the sink and back into the face mirror, my white hair is still there. 

No, No! It's not real! 

I scamper around for some sort of hat, headband, anything to just cover all that up! I can't go to school looking like this! 

I can't let mother see me like this! 

I throw on a black hat and tuck in every single strand of hair into the hat, sighing of relief as I just begin to make my way down into the kitchen, where Mother watches me suspiciously walk down. 

''What's the rush?'' 

She growls, watching me shove my subject books into my backpack and zip it up.

''Bus.'' 

I lie, grabbing a small banana muffin off a platter plate set down on the table, stuffing it in my mouth as I throw on my backpack over my shoulders. 

''Edith, Your hat? I know it's fall baby, but really? The forecast said the weather's nice today.'' 

Mother places her hand on her hip as she watches me throw on winter boots. 

''God damn it, Go catch the school bus.'' 

I nod and place my hand on the doorknob, turning to face Mother as she calls out to me. 

''Eden, Catch.'' 

I watch her throw the house keys and my water bottle straight at me, me, catching both with my left hand. 

''Thanks. I'll see you later,'' 

I don't even care to look back as I throw my body out of the door. 

Hide it. 

Hide it. 

Hide it...