Chapter 17- Dwellers

(Hi! A Girl ruined my day at school today, so I'm sorry if my writing is depressing!)

As I exit my house frantically and make sure to lock the door, I throw my house keys at Sae who waits outside my front door, catching the keys with her right hand. 

''Let's go,'' 

I say, walking past her and beginning to walk in the street. 

It's only dawn, and all I can hear is soft breezes of the cold wind outside touching my skin. 

No talking. 

No movement. 

No cars. 

Sae tucks her hands in her pockets as she catches up to my pace, her soft breathing shuddering as I look down at my feet. 

''Hey. You're going to be okay- Chingu.'' (Friend.) 

I glance over at her with a slight tear in my eye. 

''Since when am I your friend? Aren't we just-''

''I know. Two little teenagers who barely know each other,'' 

She looks at me with sealed lips. 

''I didn't really say that..? But Okay.'' 

I smile at her slightly, touching my cheek a little and wincing at what feels like a bruise. 

I don't know how I got that. 

''So- My plan. We get into the back of the school and find where that Festival was. Now, I need you to use your dumbass brain and retrace those steps of when you found that force,'' 

She sighs. 

''Then we will go from there.'' 

I nod in response and sniffle. 

''Eden. Serious Question.'' 

I glance over at her while we walk a little faster. 

''Go ahead,'' 

I reply, digging my fingernails into my skin hidden in my pockets. 

''Do you ever feel- the way I feel? That I'm not enough? I moved to this place for a reason, you know? Sometimes I just feel no one cares. That I'm not enough for the person that I need. It always gets into my head that they have someone else better. I just- I don't feel myself anymore. Do you know? The state I'm in right now is- unexplainable. I just feel all the time that I have- I have to be this person I am to not get hurt. So I can show I'm strong. But it never works out once- once I get rejected in all of these ways.'' 

Her voice is soft and pure, as a gush of wind pulls against her and me. 

''I- I can feel your pain, Sae. I feel it too. Sometimes, we just come to think of it as we aren't enough. No one is.'' 

As it feels like in slow motion we both look at each other with hurt in our eyes at the same time. 

We then take a turn down a sidewalk and seem to walk to a set of benches. 

It's a familiar set of benches-

''We're here.'' 

Sae speaks, glaring at me with a smirk on her face. 

I raise an eyebrow in hurt. 

''Were you just talking to me all that way to distract me from knowing where to go?''

She shrugs a little. 

''Maybe. But it was nice talking to a chingu who listens.''

She smiles a little and pushes me forward, past the bench. 

''Now, show me where this force is.'' 

I swallow my breath and step forward, into where I first walked through that shortcut the day of the festival. 

(Great job with learning more Korean!)