Part 38-

TOLD IN ZINNIA'S PERSPECTIVE

I close my window slowly right near my bed, as the night has now approached, the wind is cold, it's raining outside, and still no sign of Eden.

I was stupid to think that she was my friend.
Or more than that.

I turn around and shiver as I watch my bedroom door slowly open.

''What are you doing, you piece of-

I wish it was Eden who appeared through the door, but it's just my stupid older sister, Marcia,  and by the looks of her white and blue soggy clothing covered in halfway dirt, I can tell she just got home from Soccer practice.

She gestures her hand around her body.

''Can't you see? I won the soccer game!''

She holds up a golden, shiny, soccer-ball-shaped trophy as I stare at her.

''Okay, dumbass.''

Marcia raises an eyebrow.

''I'm the one who is supposed to be mean to you. Not you! You are just my lame little sister.''

''And you're a dumbass.''

Marcia smiles in annoyance.

''What's gotten into you? Shit packed in the head?''

My head flashes onto Eden. Her face. She smiles and reaches out her arm. Flash.
Yeah. Shit packed.

I cross my arms over my chest and watch Marcia exit the border of my door.

And just as I turn back around to my bed, I hear Mother's voice enter inside of my room.

''Zinnia? What's going on?''

I hear her shut my bedroom door as I turn around.

''Nothing.''

''Do not tell me nothing. I can tell in the tone of your voice, your state of mind, honey, that something is going on.''

I furrow my eyebrows and collapse onto my bed.

''You- You remember that girl I was telling you about, right?''

Mother sighs and shakes her head.

I don't think she approved of Eden and I's friendly relationship, but it doesn't seem like she has to worry about that now.

''Eden, right?''

I nod as mother sits down at the edge of my bed.

''And what about her?''

I crack my knuckles and pull my sweatshirt over a little so mother can't see my wounds from just a day ago.

''Well, I made a plan with her to go to the Diner today. And she didn't show up.''

I hold back creeping tears drilling out of my eyes.

''Well, did you get to ask her?''

''No.''

''Does she have a cell phone?''

''No.''

''Is there a way you can send her a letter?''

''No..''

''Do you know where she lives?''

I shake my head.

''No. I don't know where she lives either. But Mother,''

I sit up and look at her.

''What matters is that she didn't show up! I had a whole day planned out A whole day! And she just decides to- Not come!? Do you understand how much that hurts?''

Mother tilts her head to the side a little.

''Well, Zia. Why does it bother you so much? That she didn't come? You never know, You'll see her tomorrow! So why does it bother you?''

I wrap my arms over another and shrug.

''I don't know..''

''Well, baby, why won't you try asking yourself that?''

Mother's wrong. Really, asking myself why? I trust Eden more than I trust myself. I don't know if I should anymore. But I would like to try.

I wipe off a tear strolling down my cheek with the back of my hand.

Mother clicks her tongue and wraps her arm around mine, kissing my forehead.

''Is she really this important to you?''

I sniffle quietly and nod.

''Well, Maybe you can try finding out about this situation all by yourself.''

She giggles.

''Without calling your older sister a dumbass.''

I smile as she hugs me tightly, then gets up from my bed.

''Bed, you have school tomorrow.''

I nod quietly and get settled into my bed, turning off my black lamp light.

Let's just hope I can sleep.