♡ dinner date || yoon jaehyuk

DINNER DATE 

"Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off?"

Your best friend, Jaehyuk, sat on your bed, watching you as you sat in front of the dressing table, fixing your hair for the date you were about to go to.

"It's fine, Jaehyuk." You shook your head, taking a deep breath as you turned around to look at your best friend. "I'm taking a taxi there. Besides, it's a Saturday, so go do something fun."

How can I go out and have fun when you are going on a date with someone I don't know? Jaehyuk thought to himself, biting his tongue before the words rolled out. With someone who isn't me?

"I have plans with friends, don't worry." Jaehyuk gave his signature cute-smile, although it wasn't really convincing. "Just drop me a text ... or even call me if you want anything." He stood from his place, giving you a small wave as he wanted to leave before you left.

Jaehyuk didn't want to be there when you were going to go on a date with some other guy. Not when he so badly wanted to be the one to take you.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind! Also, Jae, before you go ... how do I look?"

"As perfect as always, Y/N."

***

You sighed to yourself, awkwardly playing with your hands as you realised what had happened. You were stood up. After almost two hours of waiting, your date hadn't showed up, so that was the only reasonable explanation you could come up with.

Every murmur you heard from the tables around you made you feel like they were talking about you — even though you couldn't hear them. just feeling their occasional stares on you made you feel suffocated, and you felt sick to the stomach, almost near tears as the realization of being stood up hit you.

Remembering Jaehyuk's words, you took out your phone, calling his contact without hesitation. Just drop me a text ... or even call me if you want anything. Within the first two rings, your call was answered, and for a split second, it made you wonder if Jaehyuk was expecting your call.

In reality, Jaehyuk had no plans with his friends. He simply stayed in the comfort of his apartment, playing something on the television while he stared at his phone, worried he might miss a call or text from you if he were to do something else.

From the time you left for your date, Jaehyuk had been doing nothing but stare at his phone, except for staring at the ceiling occasionally to clear his mind.

"Hey, Y/N? What's up?" Jaehyuk pretended to be nonchalant, increasing the volume on the television to make it seem like he was busy. "Is your date over?"

You laughed at his words, feeling pathetic once again. "Ah, it hasn't even started yet. I think I was stood up," you muttered, turning the other way and looking at the wall after you made eye-contact with the couple at the table near you. "The people here have been staring, and I must look like an idiot waiting for my date to come."

"I'll come pick you up," Jaehyuk stated, already running towards his room to change. "Just stay in there and don't walk out. Send me the restaurant name and I'll text you when I'm outside."

"Thank you, Jaehyuk. I really owe you one."

***

While waiting for your best friend to arrive, you nervously played with your hands, wondering what was taking Jaehyuk so long. You had been at the restaurant for two hours now, and it wasn't long before the servers ask you to leave.

As you stared at the door, you noticed the restaurant manager call a server, not-so-subtly pointing towards you before saying something. It was two hours, and you hadn't ordered a thing. Of course, they were gonna kick you out.

You mentally prepared yourself, quietly gathering your items as the server neared your table, about to inform you had to leave the restaurant. It's alright, I'll just wait outside. You took a deep breath, smiling as the server arrived at your table, looking polite as ever.

"Hi, I'm really sorry–" Your gaze darted towards the door that crashed open, startling you in the process. Even the server turned towards the commotion, and your eyes widened upon seeing Jaehyuk, panting and puffing as he apologised for his actions.

"Y/N! I'm so sorry for being late! The craziest things happened!" Jaehyuk spoke loudly for the whole restaurant to hear as he walked towards you, immediately making the server run back to her manager. "My car had to be serviced, and they said they'd give it to me before six. But I got it back at seven!" He took a seat in front of you, still talking loudly.

Jaehyuk's eyes were wide as he related his story, which you soon realised was fake. "And to make things worse, when I was driving here, it broke down again! So I took it back to the mechanic and decided I would take the bus," he explained, and you nodded as you covered your mouth with your hand. "And then the freaking bus broke down! Can you believe that?"

"That's ... tough luck." You struggled to not laugh, feeling overwhelmed at the extent your best friend went through to make sure you weren't embarrassed.

"Exactly. My phone died, and I didn't know what else to do. I just wanted to crawl into a hole and die, but then I remembered you must be waiting for me, so I ran. I came running because I wanted to see you, and make sure the time you put into making yourself look amazing wasn't wasted."

The last sentence Jaehyuk spoke was almost inaudible compared to how loudly he spoke the rest, but you heard them. Looking into his eyes, you could see how genuine he was, and that he really meant every word he spoke.

As you two waited for the food — since Jaehyuk insisted you eat there — you awkwardly looked around the establishment, unable to meet your best friend's eyes for the first time. Noticing your hesitation, Jaehyuk held your hand, giving you a slight smile as he stared at you.

"Be with me. Let's date. Let's do things normal couples do. I want you to be mine," he rambled, suddenly getting nervous once he realised he had confessed his feelings — and there was no going back on that.

You were silent as you thought about his words, smiling to yourself as you realised you didn't have to keep burying the feelings you felt for Jaehyuk because they were mutual.

Jaehyuk likes you. Just like you like him.

"You know, Jaehyuk? I think we were dating all this time, we just didn't know it."