♡ happier || hamada asahi

HAPPIER 

♫ based off olivia rodrigo — happier

a/n: requested! hope you liked it :)

"We broke up a month ago. Y/N's moved on ... found someone better. Someone who brings out the better in her."

Asahi mumbled, playing with his food as he kept eyeing the bottle of alcohol that was set in front of him.

The table's chattering came to a stop, eyes widening in shock as they took in the information. Both your mutual friends didn't know what to say, hearing Asahi's sudden confession, unable to believe you two had broken up.

They noticed the distance, but figured it was a fight — just like the other times. But thinking back, they should've put two and two together. Your reluctance to come on their hangouts, and Asahi's reluctance to have lunch with everyone in the university.

Since he met your friends outside frequently, he figured he should let you spend your time with them while on campus. Just because you two broke up didn't mean your friends had to suffer.

"That's ... unfortunate." Mashiho looked around the table, awkwardly patting the younger's head. "But it kinda explains why Y/N hasn't been hanging out with us."

Jaehyuk frowned, confused. "Wait, is Y/N dating Izumi now? I thought they were together for some assignment," he inquired, getting a nod from Asahi. "Dude, Izumi, really? He's a total piece of — I actually don't know." He swallowed the rest of his words, feeling Jihoon's harsh kick on his leg.

Though Asahi sat at the table with his friends, his mind wandered elsewhere ... towards you. He thought about the time you two spend together, smiling to himself before the night of the fight replayed in his head, images of you crying filling his head. He scrunched his face, heart tightening as he remembered agreeing to the words you angrily yelled.

"It's not working out, Asahi. Let's break up."

"Okay, then. If that's what you want, let's break up."

He regretted every word he said during the fight, but he regretted stupidly agreeing to break up the most. He should've understood where you were coming from instead of easily letting you go.

That was Asahi's charm you had fallen for; his occasional stupidity. Except none of you could imagine it would be the reason for your breakup.

***

Asahi wandered around the campus, trying to find a quiet spot to enjoy his break. Figuring the rooftop would be good enough, the male walked the stairs to the top, settling on the corner — away from the students who came for a nicotine break.

He sipped on his coffee, watching them leave one after the other, letting him be in peace. Taking out his phone, his finger hesitantly hovered over the photos icon, deeply breathing as he tapped on it, instantly going to a picture of the two of you.

I hope you are happy, Y/N ... but not like how you were with me. Asahi thought to himself, jealous about the fact you had easily moved on — while he was still moping around. I hope you are happy, but don't be happier.

Just as Asahi stood to leave, the door to the rooftop opened, revealing you and your new boyfriend, Izumi. He didn't know why, but instead of walking past you two, Asahi hid himself from your direct view. His hands trembled as he held his breath, getting a bad feeling already.

He regretted his actions, quickly placing his hands over his ears as he tried blocking the sounds he heard. Visuals of you and Izumi screaming at each other as you threw your hands around in frustration filled Asahi's eyes, his quiet humming being the only thing keeping him from hearing your argument.

The fight lasted how long — even Asahi didn't know. But as soon as you stormed out, he waited for a few minutes before following you. He sneaked behind Izumi, pulling his hood up as he pretended to be just another student who came for a smoke break. His disguise seemed to work as Izumi didn't suspect his girlfriend's ex to be following her.

Asahi's legs worked faster than his brain, running towards the spot he knew you'd be in. After the countless arguments you two had, there was only one place in your university you'd go to — and that was the crafts room no one ever went into.

Upon arriving there, he expected to be greeted with you painting a blank with dark colors, conveying your gloomy emotions. Instead, he saw a mix of grays, browns and turquoise — it was all over the place; which was a good way to convey your feelings too.

"Y/N," he softly spoke, causing you to turn toward his voice. An awkward smile came on his face as he saw your tear-stricken face, hands still on his side. "Are you alright?" Asahi almost kicked himself for his words if it weren't for the laugh that escaped your lips.

A laugh he dearly missed hearing.

"Oh, yeah, I'm doing great, Sahi." You dipped the flat-wash brush in gray, aggressively waving it across the canvas. "Fucking amazing, actually. Just dandy."

"Yep, that's on me, my bad. I should've known you weren't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for a lot of things, actually. I really am."

You stayed silent, tightening your grip on your brush as you slowed your angry painting, letting Asahi continue speaking. You looked as if you didn't care, but after being with you for over two years, one glance at your fidgeting hands, and he knew you cared enough.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I'm sorry for the way I look bored when I'm just tired. I'm sorry for how I don't contribute to your conversation when I'm really not good with words. I'm sorry for making you feel like you are the only one who's working for our relationship. I fucked up big time, and there's no other way I can word it." Asahi's eyes never left yours, breathing deeply as he let out the words he had bottled. "It's been a month, but a day without you was enough to make me realise that I needed you in my life."

"What?"

Asahi shook his head, a genuine smile on his face. "Our breakup should've never happened, that's what I'm saying." The smile fell almost immediately, with Asahi remembering about Izumi. "I know you are with Izumi now, but I'll be shameless and say that I hope you are happy, just not as happy as you were with me."

"Asahi–"

"Because I know we are good together, okay?!" You couldn't help but smile at his words, shocked to hear him talk so much. "You might've moved on, but I don't fucking care. I'm telling you now that I can't do it without you, and I need you in my life."

You placed your brush down, giggling slightly as you watched him look confused. The giggles soon became full-blown laughter, and even Asahi couldn't stop smiling upon seeing your cheerful face.

"Thanks, I guess." You turned towards the male, leaning against the table. "That's the most aggressive way I have been cheered up, and it's weirder because it's you," you confessed, contemplating on how to address what he had said.

"Y/N ..."

"Maybe your prayers worked, you know?" You smiled. "Izumi and I just broke up. Not even five minutes ago. And you come here like magic, just confessing the things that are in my head. Heck, I didn't even think me and Izumi would last this little, but I guess that's what happens when you are still hung on your ex of two years, huh?" You were just rambling now, aware of the awkward atmosphere that was there in the room.

Asahi nodded, pursing his lips as he gave a little smile. "Getting into fights during exam season is not a good idea. We should've just not interacted like we did last time. You aren't fun to be around when you are stressed and pissed," he joked, getting a laugh out of you as he chuckled.

"You are no piece of cake either, Hamada." You walked closer, nudging the male. "But I wouldn't mind doing it again. I want to be happy, Asahi ... as happy as I was when I'm with you."

"Let's work harder to be happier, Y/N. Happier together."