F I F T Y - F O U R

May 2, 1999

As soon as I woke up, I felt as if I was going to be sick.

It's been a year.

One whole year since he left us.

I snuggled into Draco's chest more. I needed him right now.

I could feel Draco stirring and I decided to bite my tongue and hold my tears for when I was alone.

My hand that wasn't around Draco coiled around the chain around my neck. I thought about what was inside it; the picture of all of us together.

Stay strong, Y/N.

This day can't be all about you.

It's about him.

It's about Kayden.

It's about the people we lost today.

McGonagall announced yesterday that all classes would be cancelled today for everyone to take time to grieve.

So, personally, I planned on staying in bed all day and eventually crying my eyes out, but I knew it was possible that that wouldn't be able to happen.

I kept my breathing steady.

Just don't think about it, Y/N.

I pressed my lips together and tried to clear my mind.

What did Bellatrix teach me about Occlumency?

I never really used it much after the situation with my father. I've never really built walls to close my mind like Draco does.

Besides, he's a natural and he also had the extra help of Snape in fifth year.

The Death Eaters began meeting at his house then. So, he had to keep it a secret.

But I only ever learned how to store and push away certain memories during Leglimency.

It's worth a try.

I took every single memory I had of Kayden and pushed them to the back of my mind, trying my best not to let them touch the surface of my brain.

I buried them deeper and deeper so that I'd be able to go collect them later and give myself a good cry.

But right now was not the time.

I can't break in front of people again.

Draco stirred just as I finished storing Kayden's memories away. I imagined some sort of filing cabinet with his name engraved on the front of it. It stored sad memories in one, happy in another, and in the last, it was my favourite ones.

Another cardboard box sat on top of the filing cabinet filled with the things about him that I miss like his scent, his hair, his perfect smile.

Those things.

I stored every single one of them away.

And I felt cold.

Maybe this is what it feels like to be like Draco in his serious moments.

Cold.

"Today is-" Draco's throaty morning voice began.

"May 2nd, 1999. It's been a year." I breathed, cold.

I felt lifeless. Empty.

Draco reached for my hand and entangled his fingers between mine, tracing patterns with his thumb along my palm. "I'm sorry."

"I need your help." I said.

Everything I said sounded challenging and vague.

"Anything, my love." He replied.