T H I R T E E N

December 25, 1998

I woke up groaning. My head was pounding, my cheeks felt dry, and my eyes strained.

I turned my head, toward the window. The sun was setting. Last time I was awake, it was up and raised.

Last time I was awake. Shit.

My hand shot to my neck and I felt around for the chain.

Oh, please let it not be there.

None of it had to happen if-

My hands caught the silver chain and I looped it it my fingers.

Fuck.

It all happened.

I cried in front of Malfoy over a Christmas present he gave me. Oh, god.

I sat up from my spot on the bed, heart pounding. I didn't actually do that, did I?

Without thinking, I made my way to the bathroom.

My reflection showed the opposite of what I was denying. My eyes were red and puffy, my cheeks were stained with dry tears.

I cried over Kayden in front of Malfoy.

I showed weakness in front of Malfoy.

Quickly, I grabbed a cloth from the counter top and lathered it with water before wiping the dried tears off my face.

I blinked repeatedly, trying to get rid of the puffiness of my red eyes.

Once it was sufficient, I brushed my hair quickly and reached for the necklace around my neck.

I twisted the chain in my hands over again and fumbled over the locket, where I lightly pried it open.

I stared at Kayden's smiling face.

He had such a beautiful smile. It was the light to my day every time I saw it. The jokes and lightheartedness that accompanied it were the best.

I took a deep breath before transfixing my gaze onto Malfoy's face for a moment.

Was this really 3 years ago?

We were 15, Kayden 16 — I think. It was late May, maybe really early June.

Blaise took the picture, I know it. I remember it so well.

Malfoy's hair was parted down the middle and hung over his forehead. His smirk was the same. It's always been the same. His eyes were glistening as he stared at me. I noticed as his smirk turned into a light smile as he watched me laugh.

I gulped. Things were different then.

Pansy was attached to Malfoy's hip. Her legs over the couch, skirt hitching up her thighs. She was leaning on him as if he was an armrest, adjusting his hair with one hand, with the other, she fixed the collar of his dress shirt.

It made my blood boil and lips curl into a slight sneer.

But I caught it and turned it off.

That was 3 years ago.

We were so young, so naïve, so stupid.

So free, so fun, so happy.

I would do anything to go back to those days and be stuck there forever.

I sighed as I looked at myself now; so pathetic, weak, still quite stupid.

What time is it? I have to meet Malfoy for dinner.

It's a rule, sort of. He gives me my space for that one bit of time we are obligated to spend together.

I popped my head out of the bathroom, looking at the clock on my wall.