S I X T E E N

January 4th, 1999

Yesterday, Malfoy wasn't there for dinner. I let it go. Why would I need him there in the first place?

I was on my way downstairs, the thought of Malfoy wanted to make me drown in sorrow.

But I called out anyway. "Malfoy?! Are you home?"

There was no answer. He must've went out.

I still brought out my wand and used a home detection charm. Only the House-Elves and I were here.

I let out a long sigh of relief. I could let loose for a while, maybe I could go to the library and read a couple books or go on a walk.

Or maybe, I could take the Theodore Nott route and drink my pain away.

I like that idea better. I went to the kitchen and pulled out my wand once more. "Accio Fire Whiskey."

A large, glass bottle flew towards me and I caught it. The bottle was a bit dusty but the expiration date wasn't for another two months.

I dusted it off with my hands and stuck my wand back into the back pocket of my jeans. I made my way to the library, letting my feet slide against the Manor floors as I went.

Finally, some real fun.

As I entered the library, I shut the door tightly behind me. I didn't lock it, I may want to get more alcohol.

I fell back onto one of the library's many armchairs and used my wand to ignite a fire in the fireplace and to get the bottle open.

Once it was open, I started on drinking.

I finished the bottle in a matter of half-an-hour and felt giddy. Adrenaline flooded through my veins but all I could do was giggle.

"Accio more alcohol!" I slurred, pointing my wand at the now open door.

A bottle of mead flew into the room and landed in my hands. I laughed as I used my wand to open it up.

I was drinking this one quite rapidly too. I felt as if I were floating and a tiny thought in the back of my head suggested that maybe it was time to go upstairs, but my tormented brain pushed it far aside.

I kept drinking.

Draco's POV
As soon as I Apparated into the Manor, I heard giggling. It was far off, but it was there.

It was only half past 9 — the evening — I left her alone all day. I wonder what she got up too.

The Ministry wanted a check in from me about what I've been doing and they used loads of Veritaserum on top of Legillimency.

I was so tired, my mind felt strained.

But I followed the giggling and distinct mumbles.

It was coming from the library.

Why would she be giggling from the library?

I already know it's Y/N, I've known that giggle for years.

I pushed through the partly open door to she her laying on the armchair, her legs draped over one of the sides. She was laying back, her hair ghosting against the floorboards.

There was an empty bottle of Fire Whiskey on the table beside her and in her hands was an almost empty bottle of mead.

Bloody hell.

I can't leave her alone anymore.

I picked up the bottle from the table and banished it into the kitchen with my wand, wordlessly.