15🏍

I can't believe I witnessed a life being born

I can't believe I witnessed a life being born. That did something to me. I couldn't take my eyes off of Navy or Lanie.

I eat my burger in silence while the girls talked until Desmond walked in. He picked Lanie up like a pro but I mean he is in the medical field I told myself.

I texted a pic of Lanie to Dom and Hoss like I was a proud parent. What is wrong with me?

"So Kash what did you think of the experience?" Desmond asked.

"It was something but umm I stayed at her head until I cut the cord," I said.

"You cut the cord??" He asked.

"Yeah, they thought I was the dad," I said.

"Des how cool is it that today is Gavin's birthday and Lanie was born on it," Ivy said.

"Oh wow he was definitely watching over you guys and had a hand in that." Desmond smiled.

"That's what we all said," I said looking over at Navy and she was dozing off.

"She's so tired but she done such a great job." I smile.

"I'm really glad you were here with her. I know you guys are friends but this meant a lot I'm sure and it does to me too. I was hoping I could make it up here but I had a couple of new patients and couldn't get away." Ivy said.

"She was a trooper. She kept telling me to go home but I wouldn't. I wasn't going to leave her alone like that. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if so." I said finishing my fries.

"Well, we are thankful. I know your not her boyfriend but it never hurts to have one more person looking out for them." Ivy said.

"Navy is picking at Ivy saying you guys are next. So since your holding Lanie, you look like you would make a good dad." I laugh.

"I'm not sure we are ready for that yet. I mean we aren't even married." Desmond said.

"People have babies all the time and not married Des," Ivy said looking at him.

"Ok hey before this turns into a fight I gotta get going." He laughed handing Lanie back to Ivy kissing her and leaving.

"Well, he got out of here fast." I laugh.

"Des thinks everything has to be done in order. You know marriage before babies but sometimes it doesn't work out that way." She shrugged.

"No, that it don't," I said finishing my drink off.

"Oh wow, kid you stink," Ivy said.

"Not it! I have no idea how to change a diaper." I laugh.

"I think Aunt Ivy can change it for you Lanie." Ivy baby talked Lanie putting her in her bassinet.

I watched Ivy change her diaper.  "Wow, Ivy you changed her diaper like you have done it before." I laugh.

"A few times Kash." She smiled before fixing Lanie's outfit and left her in the bassinet. "I need to get home and sleep before my shift tonight. Are you sure you're ok here while Navy is asleep?"

"I'll be fine and if she cries it will either wake Navy up or I'll get a nurse," I said.

"Alright then. But thanks for watching over my girl. She needs a friend like you." Ivy smiles and walks out the door.

At one point Lanie begin to cry and I rushed over to her and lightly stroked my finger down her face and she calmed down.

I looked back at Navy and she's watching me. "You look like a pro Kash." She smiled.

"Oh yeah, a big tattoo guy cooing over a little baby." I laugh.

"Can you hand her to me, Kash?" She asked.

"I think I can. I just need to hold her head and I feel like I can scoop her up like this." I said picking her up.

"That was great!" She smiled.

"While your breastfeeding I'm going to run to the cafeteria," I said.

"Could you hand me a diaper first please?" She asked.

I hand it to her and tell her I would be back. I found the elevator and walked down to the cafeteria and got us some breakfast and then I went to the gift shop. I picked up an assortment of flowers for Navy and a pink little Elephant for Lanie.

When I walk back upstairs Navy is burping Lanie and her eyes light up when she sees the little elephant and flowers.

"I had to get this for Lanie bug and these flowers are for you." I smile.

"Aww thank you Kash its both a nice gesture and I'm a sucker for flowers and well that's Lanie's first toy." She smiles.

I hand her the elephant and she holds it up at Lanie. I place the flowers in the window for her and sit down.

"Kash I appreciate everything you have done and being here yesterday when you didn't have to and even cut the umbilical cord and we don't even know each other that well." She said.

"Well, when I have a baby I hope you will hold my hand and cut the cord." I laugh.

"If you can make that possible then I'll be there for it." She laughs.

"You are working on my books and I helped you have a baby I think we are even." I smile.

"You will have to bring that book to me and I can work on it when Lanie is asleep." She said.

"I can arrange that plus Navy I need to check on you and Lanie," I said just as the nurse walks in.

"Navy we can let you go home today if you have someone who can take you and this little one home." The nurse said.

"I can take her home that's not a problem," I said.

"Sounds good then. We will get the papers ready for you and then you guys can go home and be a happy family." The nurse said.

Navy looked at me and smiled.