THE EXAM CALLED LIFE

Galing kay CentineooLove

[•At some point you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out rather they fit you in. L... Higit pa

PROLOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 39
A/N
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
EPILOGUE
FINAL A/N

CHAPTER 12

55 12 0
Galing kay CentineooLove

Did i forget to mention that I'm a very impatient woman? Well now you know. I was at Rocky's at exactly eight and forty five minutes had passed yet Luther hadn't arrived. I checked my phone for any messages or calls from him but there were none. Great. I had cancelled all the plans I had then for us to meet and now he was standing me up? Was he serious?

Swallowing the last gulp of water that was brought to me, I got up to leave and bumped into Luther with ruffled hair carrying a hood in his hands. I had to admit, no matter how poor he was, he was still able to pull off his looks. "I'm sorry for being late. My little girl-"

"Save it. Let's just sit down and talk okay? "I said cutting him off.

"You look really beautiful Miss Cole" he said with a sheepish smile. I was glad to have worn a black sleeveless button up dress that reached just below my knees. It was chinese collar designed leaving a little space between both collar bones. I smiled at him as I felt for the charm bracelet on my right wrist. I leaned back towards my chair a little feeling my pink trench coat and felt a little reassured.

"Thank you Luther. You don't mind if I call you Luther, right?" I asked fingers crossed well not literally.

"No of course not. I am actually sort of honoured," he smiled making his features glow. Get a grip Aramina. The man's married. My annoying subconscious never gave it a rest. I took a deep breath and got back to my senses, a little bit.

"Is your detective okay with this?" he asked nervously.

"Who knows? I actually don't care what he thinks," I said arrogantly.

"But he does," said Luther. I took a moment to think about those words. Yes Blake was annoying and all and there was no way I could think about him like that, right?

"We didn't come here to talk about me. I want to know all about you," I said resting my forearms on the table.

"Well there's not much to tell, just that I'm an ex convict with no job and a family to take care of," he said. A waiter came our way and we placed our order, which was brought to us immediately.

"I'd like to know why you went to prison," I said.

"Well, my father died and my sister sort of blamed me for his death," he said. A flash of hurt lingered in his eyes for a moment.

"Which sister?"

He looked at me surprisingly. "You did a background check on my family too?"

"Of course I did. I couldn't just sit back and relax. You were causing me some major problems to be honest," I said.

"Before I tell you this, you have to know that nobody knows this except my family," he said very seriously. I nodded as if to promise and urge him at the same time.

"My sister Demetria or as she is famously known, Demi Lovato," he said rolling his eyes and leaned back to his seat. He saw the puzzled look etched on my face and decided to clarify things. "My parents used to fight a lot about stupid things and then one day I just lost it. My father was beating my mother up really badly. His knuckles were busted and my mother's face was bloody. He choked her and when I caught a tear falling from her right eye I just lost it. I took the gun that was placed on the table and shot him. Blood sprinkled all over the place as he collapsed on my mother. My head was spinning and I couldn't think straight. Demetria ran out to call for help as I had assumed but she came back with the cops. I couldn't believe it. My hands were shaking and my mother had already gotten off him and frantically tried to clean the place up as we wondered what to do with his body. My mother tried to explain that she experienced domestic violence to them but they couldn't listen. I was sixteen when they took me to juvenile and on the day of my trial Demetria testified against me; her own flesh and blood. I was pledged guilty and was sentenced to twenty years in prison. My education continued while I was there and since we visited Brooklyn National Hospital for injuries and some of the classes, the chief of surgery, Dr Hunt took a special interest in me and promised to give me a job once I was out. I was really glad and was paroled due to good conduct. It honestly came as a surprise to me since I wouldn't have thought that they paroled murder cases. Ten solid years had passed and I went to find Dr Hunt but unfortunately, he had left the world two years earlier. I knew then that there was no hope for me. I tried looking for a job but as I told you, noone wanted to hire an ex convict. Demetria ruined my life. I haven't spoken to her in years. Well, Joan and April try to have me talk to her but I just can't we've always had bad blood between us since then to date. I'm just not sure if I can trust her, you know?"

I had been rendered speechless. I tried my best not to cry in front of him. I'm usually really sentimental and learning that his life was difficult since the very beginning just broke my heart. "I'm really sorry Luther, about everything." I reached for his hand and cupped it in mine to reassure him. "Tell you what, report to my office bright and early on Monday because you now have a job!"

"What? No. Miss Cole, I don't like being pitied."

"It's Aramina from now on and I'm not pitying you. We should meet tomorrow afternoon and I'll take you somewhere," I said giving a little squeeze to his hand.

"Where?"

"You'll see tomorrow. I expect you to meet me at Laville resort at around two and I will not take no for an answer," I persuaded.

"Thank you so much Aramina, really" he said with a little sparkle to his warm chocolate eyes.

"I knew it!" I heard a shrill female voice shout loud enough to destroy my tympanic membrane. Oh no. Not now. I turned to see Corrine looking worse than dolled up stripper with a sparkly silver dress that hugged her body so tight I was sure it was going to split. Her hair was held up in a messy way and she had a sparkly purse to match.

"What's your deal?" I asked her honestly annoyed by the way she was treating me. She took out her phone and dared to take a picture of Luther and I.

"I'll make sure Jésus gets this. You are just playing with him you slut!" Bitterness was clearly etched in her voice.

"Ugh, Corrine please. I am not in the mood right now so would you please leave us alone?"

"You obviously don't want Jésus to find out about this"

"Look Corrine, I am honestly tired of listening to your annoying voice and your constant pitiful actions." I signaled the waiter and paid for our meal. Luther looked like he was about to protest about me paying for the meal but I really just wanted to leave the place. Everywhere Corrine walked was a total disaster. I took my coat and heard, "Thank you for making me open Jésus' eyes!" as I left the door. Darling please, I opened his eyes. Luther offered to walk me home but I declined. We bid each other goodbye and I made him promise to meet me the next day.

*****

Sure enough, Luther was at the resort waiting for my arrival the next day.

"Why didn't you text me? Have you been here long?" I asked him as I shook his hand.

"Not really Miss Cole." We got into my car and I opened the door for him from the inside. We talked as I asked for his patience since I needed to stop by the office because I had a board meeting. I took him to my stylist Edward of the Fabulous Fashion Company and left Luther in his very capable hands. "He will take care of you for most of the day and i will come pick you up later," I said to Luther as I told Edward to work his magic and not worry about the cost. I later headed to V. E and closed the deal with Mr Choi about the event that was to be held at Villa Gardens the following day. He had flown all the way from China and there was no way I could have let him down; not after all his patience and support. I had him send the invitations out because I had plans that day.

The minute I walked into my office, Alexis brought the invitation in along with my usual morning cup of coffee. I gladly took it and smiled while I looked at the card. It had my picture on it and that of my father and Mr Choi and the board members with the words written in white 'Villa Enterprises' at the right side to it. It was navy blue in colour.

"I hope you don't mind me taking you to that event, said a voice I knew all too well. I looked at Blake dressed in a khaki suit. My eyes widened.

"You like?" he asked with his brow raised.

"Actually I just wondered why you aren't in your usual black."

"Nothing really. It's just that I'm attending a certain event then come here later," he clarified.

"You might not find me. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow," I said holding on to my bag.

"Whoa tomorrow? Where will you be all day?"

"I'm taking Luther shopping and I still have to get ready for tomorrow-"

"Whoa, slow your roll. Did you say Luther? Why are you taking him shopping?"

"Well because I want him to be properly dressed for the event tomorrow and be presentable to work starting Monday," I said calmly.

"What work?"

"Well I plan on hiring him here as an assigning worker or maybe tech work. Listen, can I talk to you about this later?"

"Well okay but I'm still taking you tomorrow," he insisted. I looked at the card. It bore the words 'must have an escort' after the 'invites only'. Seriously Choi? I rubbed my forehead a bit. "Do you have to?" I asked him.

"I want to and I have a strong suspicion that you want that too," he said smiling. Swoon. "You got a bit of drool right here," he said pointing at his lower lip then laughing.

"Get out of here," I said with cheer in my voice.

"That was what I was going for"

"What?" I asked.

"That amazing smile of yours," he said to me with a wink and a final walk out. Trust me, I did my best not to fall back on my chair.

*****

I hurriedly got back to my house that night. I had a really long day. I was proud of myself with the total makeover that was done to Luther. The shopping went great. I learnt that Luther was a little too modest. We got ice cream later on and some things for his family and drove him home. Well, near the suburbs at least. I collapsed on my bed after putting on my jammies. The last thing I remembered was getting of a call from Blake asking if I got home okay.

******

I struggled to keep my eyes closed but the light managed to penetrate through the bright blue bedroom curtains. The light? Oh my God! I quickly sat up and looked at the time; it was half past eleven. This was a joke right? I rushed to check the living room clock and my phone. The time was the same. I could not believe that i had slept in. I quickly prepared myself remembering that i had a meeting with the board members and rushed to my car. On arrival, I found Josh as usual waiting for me at the entrance and I threw my car keys towards him and rushed in saying a hurried hello to security. Josh was sort of like the car manager of the company. I constantly pushed the elevator button number eighteen to a point of almost jamming it.

I knew that Mr Choi was a very impatient man moreso when it came to business matters. He was also very influential and trust me, he could psych a riot even in the graveyard. The elevator doors opened much too slowly for my liking that I almost pushed them apart myself. Oh wait, I actually did. I rushed in my green coloured six inch heels and my green coloured straight dress to match which hugged my body all the way below my knees mid tibia. I didn't even bother passing by my office as I headed straight to the board room. I'm sure my hair already looked dishevelled by the time I got there. I burst the doors open and much to my surprise i found Detective Blake addressing the board members. What? I actually froze. They all fell silent and looked at me standing at the doorway.

"Ah Miss Cole, you are finally here," said Detective Blake. He walked towards me and kissed my hand, a gesture which rather surprised me. Who was he and what had he done to the Blake I knew? After snapping out of my daze due to the sweet little action by Blake, I was able to get the words, "I'm so sorry I'm late" out of my mouth. I looked at Mr Choi's face expecting to see his lips pressed into a thin line and his brows furrowed to indicate utter disapproval but alas! He actually seemed amused? Okay I was totally confused then.

"It's alright Miss Cole. The Detective took us through well on the whole party issue and we have everything planned. It will all be ready by today evening,"said Mr Choi getting up the rest of the board members following suit.

"Wait, what about the speeches, the sketches and how we'll place the video?" I asked.

"Don't worry about that. Everything's settled," convinced Mr Choi as he winked at Blake. Wait, what was going on?

"I've got your back," whispered Blake to my left ear.

"See you tonight Miss Cole," said Mr Choi as he walked out. I took in two deep breaths and made sure I had calmed down before turning to Blake. "What did you do?" I made sure to give him one of my fiercest looks.

"I saved you," he said leaning on the hardwood desk.

"What were you even talking about with them? Mr Choi seemed pleased."

"I helped you with that project, remember? So I know all about it. Other than that, I used my usual charm nothing special," he said straightening his coat. I rolled my eyes at that.

"What charm?"

"We both know that it works, even on you," he said very close to my ear that sent chills down my spine. He was so close to me and I hoped he couldn't hear my hear thump so loudly.

"What time should I pick you up? Oh wait, I'm not one to ask so see you at seven," he said giving me one of his cocky smiles.

"I'll be at the office"

"At that hour? Come on Champagne," he said. I was not one to give in to his demands.

"I'll be outside your apartment at seven and please, let's not argue," he said leaving the board room. Oh I hated it when he became all bossy. Do you? My annoying subconscious could never let me rest, could it?

~°~°~°~°~°~°~

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

96 19 5
Book no. 1 in "Obsession series" Natalie James Livingston, a self made billionaire whose fame is all across the the expanse of America. Obsessed by t...
5.5M 28.4K 9
{ CURRENTLY REWRITING } With one of the best college grades and her masters degree in hand, Emma Durson's next plan is to move to New York to pursue...
62.5M 2.7K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
369K 10K 37
"Suddenly, I found our faces so close together, I could feel his warm breath caressing my face. It smelt slightly of mint, and an undercurrent that w...