CHAPTER 56

*ARAMINA*

"You better tell me what you are fucking talking about Alexis!" Blake boomed and I could feel him tremble in anger.

She wiped her tear stained cheeks and hugged her body as the breeze hit her. I could not even feel the cold. I was numb to absolutely everything. "I had just come from feeding the girls mashed potatoes mixed with milk. I rushed upstairs quickly to prepare their baths but when I got back..."

"What?" Blake demanded and it surprised me how he had still kept his composure. I on the other hand was a mess on the floor and felt and if my whole world had crushed down.

"They were gone and the front door was open. I quickly rushed outside to see who it was but the gate was about to close and I quickly rushed to see a speeding car round a corner. I tried to follow them but the car was faster and I did not have keys to any of the cars in here-"

"All this while you never thought of calling us?" Blake was losing it, I could tell so I held on to his foot to prevent him from doing anything rash.

"I did but I was so scared that I did not know what to tell you... Where to even start..." Her voice morphed into a horse whisper as she looked at Blake's intimidating figure. She looked so small compared to his height that I feared he would crush her.

"I'm sorry Blake and Aramina I'm really sorry," she cried burying her face in her hands. I stood from my position slowly feeling every muscle of my body ache at the loss of my kids.

"Sorry won't bring back our kids, will it?" He spat tugging hard at his hair. He was so affected by this and so was I. I mean he had just gotten his children a few days ago and they had now been taken away from him? It wasn't fair at all. I walked towards Alexis and squeezed her shoulders. I tried to put myself in her shoes and depicted that she was not at fault. Either of us would have easily made the same mistake having no clue of what would happen the next minute. I engulfed her in a hug and stroked her hair. I did not know whether I was trying to reassure her or make myself feel better.

"It's okay Lex. It wasn't your fault," She hesitated at first but relaxed into the hug as her arms wrapped around my body. She was shaking and I had no idea why I had not yet shed a single tear. All I felt was numbness and my eyes had never felt drier.

"What do you mean it wasn't her fault? We trusted her with our kids and here she was screwing everything up! So don't you dare soothe her Aramina don't you fucking dare!" He was enraged and I could not deny that every fibre in my body was dying to listen to him but my heart ached for Alexis. I had no idea why but it did. He scared me when he was angry and I closed my eyes to rid myself of the temptation to look at him.

I heard the police say something to Blake about alerting them when the kidnappers contacted us. Then again, Blake was the police and he knew the drill. I pulled Alexis to the kitchen and placed the milk to the fire urging her to take a seat next to me.

"No thank you. I'm lactose intolerant," she said stopping me from pouring milk into the other glass. Her voice was horse from all the crying that she had done and the bridge of her nose had turned to a light shade of pink. I grabbed a box of tissues and placed them next to her. We sat in silence for a while with her head bowed down occasionally reaching to wipe her eyes. I heard the front door close and the sirens die down as they drove further from the house.