CHAPTER 5

I woke up tired that morning and decided to sleep in and go to work later in the day. When I did, I placed my laptop on my laps and looked at pictures of the company and other things to do with it. I wanted to understand how they got in the first time. A loud knock on the door disrupted me and I went to see who it was.

"Surprise baby! "yelled my mother with her hands full of shopping and two balloons.

"Uh-mom, I can't breathe, " I told her struggling in our hug.

"How've you been dear? It seems like long since I saw you, " she said lovingly.

"Uh, mother it has been long, " i said emphasizing on the word has.

"I missed my cutie pie, "she said in a childish tone while pinching my cheeks.

"Mother... " I whined as I took the load from her hands.

I noticed my father standing behind my mother after a while. He looked serious and annoyed.

"Close the door, "he said to me after walking majestically in the room.

"What were you doing in bed this late? " asked mother in her thick walsh accent. She was Welsh while my dad was English... I know, perfect combo.

"I was feeling tired so I decided to sleep in, " I said.

"Pathetic, " scoffed my father.
Don't let him get to you. I loved my subconscious.

I just let his comments slide. I had never understood why he treated me like that.

"Darling don't worry about preparing us anything. We just came from having some tea, "said mother as she saw me heading to the kitchen.

I joined them in the sitting room and mom and I talked on and on about how she had been travelling to Wales and Australia and even dramatised some funny things she found there. We ended up laughing our heads off while my father just looked at his watch as if we were wasting his time.

"Olivia, why are there so many thefts in the company? Are you trying to embarrass me? " he asked when the laughter seemed to die down.

Whenever my father called me Olivia I knew it was a serious matter. The thing was that my parents had a dispute on what my name was going to be until the nurse at the hospital settled it by telling them to name me using both. Of course my parents being who they are still argued on which name would come first and the nurse had to decide for them... Again.

"I don't know dad. The CCTV Surveillance showed nothing. It's either the security guards were asleep or outsmarted.I've been trying to get to the bottom of these thefts but I still get nothing," I said.

"Your mother mentioned a detective and some sort of forensic activity going on there. Haven't you been given any information yet? " he asked frustrated.

"Dad, these thefts have been happening one after the other. Even the detective and his team need some time to analyse the crimes carefully, " I defended.

"What are you talking about? It's either they are delaying the work or they simply don't have any idea of what they are doing, " he argued.