CHAPTER 13

After my encounter with Blake, i walked back to my office after engaging in small talk with Alexis. She wished me a good day as i confirmed her appearance at the launching. I walked into my office and you could imagine the shock on my face when i found Luther there.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked as i walked round towards my seat. Luther had already offered himself a seat and took the liberty of standing up when i got in.

"Did i do something wrong?" he asked and i shook my head.

"It's just that i would really like it if you and Blake wait for me at the bay instead of barging into my office!"

"I'm really sorry Miss Cole. It was wrong of me," he said with an apologetic look on his face which earned a nod from me. He looked hurt. "Well i didn't mean to hurt your feelings," I said real quick. Which earned an okay from me. I looked at the invitation card on my desk and then looked at Luther.

"I'd really like it if you came to this," I said giving him the card. He scrutinized it for a while then said, "No Miss Cole. I cannot. I'm not worthy of attending such celebrations."

"First, what did i tell you? We are on the first name basis so don't call me Miss Cole anymore, it's Aramina. Secondly, i gave you a total makeover. You are so worth this." He looked hopeful but i hated the way that he did not see much of himself than i saw in him. It really crushed me and i had no idea why. Why am i doing this again? It's because i have a heart kind enough to forgive and forget. I was so much like my mother unlike my father.

"Thank you for inviting me. I really hope that Jessica will agree to this."

"Just urge her to and if she doesn't you can come without her, no pressure," I said doubting whether the last bit didn't really pressure him.

"Can i meet you at your place if she doesn't?" I felt like this friendship of ours was going too fast.

"Ummm, i already have a date," I said slowly. I thought i was hallucinating when i saw the flash of hurt in his eyes. Well, maybe i was.

"See you then," he said, shook my hand and headed out.

******

I honestly had no idea why everyone did their make up first then dress later. For me, it was the other way round. I was doing my final touch of make up after dressing up. Once i was sure that i was completely done, i stood in front of my full length mirror in my bedroom and stared at my reflection. Who was that girl? I was in a floor length red dress which was lace printed at the top and had a diamond shaped strap that went round my neck and connected to my front. I went dark on my red lipstick and mascara and wore diamond earrings to match with the strap on my dress that my father got me for my eighteenth birthday. Surprised? You should have seen my face that day. My hair was flourished in bouncy curls and i used a red and black hair clip, which had my initials on it, to prevent my hair from falling to my face. Yeah i know what you are thinking but it was my mother's idea. Who knew that mothers can be so persuasive? I completed the look with shiny black closed four inch heels. I was sure I'd walk around the place much and i didn't want to be uncomfortable. I heard my phone ring and immediately knew it was Jésus.

"Hello?" I answered as i picked up the receiver.

"Miss Cole look out your window," he said and i rushed quickly to the nearest window. I saw Detective Blake dressed in a navy blue suit. He was leaning against a black volvo which i had never seen before.