Lovely Fellow | 18+ ✓

By TheSolSoldier_

**NOW PUBLISHED** GrumpyXSunshine "let kindness spread like a wildfire." Opal Clemens is a bubbly outgoing g... More

aesthetics
playlist
info
1. capri sun.
2. maplesgrove.
3. pure unbridled rage.
4. little blue pills.
5. the search for happiness.
6. sinking.
7. white roses.
8. kryptonite.
9. fractured heart.
10. autumn haze.
11. frosty breeze.
12. peach pit.
13. grey skies.
14. the monster inside.
15. to survive a storm.
17. heavy rain.
18. grunge.
19. retrograde.
20. drizzle.
21. just a wallflower.
22. where the bad things are.
23. two lost souls passing by.
24. good things fall apart.
25. take my breath away.
26. lone wolf.
27. stay.
28. darkness lurks.
29. vast like a hurricane.
30. strong like the sea, brave like the moon.
31. lifeline.
32. harrow.
33. devilry.
34. cadaver.
wheres the rest of the story?
35. woeful demise.
36. sinking ships.
37. to love recklessly.
38. to weather a storm.
39. you were a forest fire.
40. like milk and honey.
41. crossfire.
42. beautiful tragedy.
43. six feet deep.
44. like a match to a flame.
45. sweet to the soul.
46. the girl who grew sunflowers.
47. evergreen.
48. the boy with a mended heart.
c o v e r s
being misunderstood series.

16. sunshine delight.

7.4K 258 119
By TheSolSoldier_

K O A

My hands shake uncontrollably, I shove them into my hoodie pocket, trying to hide the fact that their quivering. I wipe the sweat off my face with my shoulder and stare at the freshly cooked food in front of me, gulping down the excess saliva in my mouth. I watch Wilson hum and tap his foot whilst flipping bacon. Once he finishes, he places his food on a clean dish, placing it across from me.

"You doing okay Koa?" He questions, placing his napkin on his lap.

"Um.. yeah. I'm just never really hungry this time of day."

"You don't eat breakfast?"

"Not often, no."

My head twitches to the side and my foot taps repeatedly, unable to control my movements. He guzzles down most of his eggs and half of his bacon. His brown eyes meet my gaze, as he places his fork down it clanks lightly against his plate. "Is everything alright Koa? You don't look so good."

"Ye-ah, I'm f-f-fine."

He leans against the table, "Koa, you can stay here for as long as you'd like. There is no hurry for you to leave, you aren't a bother. I rather enjoy your company."

"Thanks Wilson." I mumble, slinking down in my seat, staring at the food on my plate. I force down most of the meal that he had cooked for me. "May I wash your plate?"

"That's okay Koa."

I grab his plate and pile his silverware onto it, cleaning our dishes and placing them in the dishwasher beside me. "Thanks for breakfast Wilson."

"Would you tell me if something was wrong?"

I force a smile onto my face and nod, "Yes."

He gently places his hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "I would hope so. I'm here for you Koa, any time of day. Please, don't hesitate to tell me anything. I just want to help. You're a good man, I would hate for anything to happen to you."

"I Uh..."

"Yes?"

"I think imma hurl." I dart for the nearest bathroom and go about my business. After a few minutes Wilson swings the door open, crouching down beside me.

-

Later that day.

I pull my shirt off and douse it in cold water underneath the sink, wrapping it around my shoulders. I cup my hands underneath the water and splash it on my face. I wander back into the locker room full of idiots. Pulling my locker open and sitting on the bench beside me.

"Ouch, That looks like it hurts." A dude gestures towards my bruised ribs, taking a seat next to me.

"Who are you?"

"Briar, we've met a couple of times actu-"

"I don't care."

"I'm a friend of Opals."

I lean down and tie my shoelaces, "Ah that makes sense."

"What does?" He asks with raised eyebrows.

"This weird talkativeness that the two of you share."

"I didn't think it was weird."

"Yeah? Well it is." I groan as I reach for a clean shirt in my locker.

"Do you... need some help?"

"No." I growl.

"Okay, sorry I asked."

As I stand up, the room around me spins, I fall against my locker, trying to hold onto it for support until I fall to the ground.

"Yo, you okay?" He shoots down beside me, leaning over me, he wraps his hand around my forearm, lifting me to my feet. "Do you need to go to the nurse?"

I glance around the locker room, all the half naked guys stare at me as I stable myself. I push past the guys in my path and race out of the room, holding myself against a wall. "Koa!" I hold my hands against my head as a horrendous headache pounds against my skull. "Koa!" Opal runs up to me, "Wh-what happened to your side?" Her green eyes pierce mine as she watches me in silence.

"How can I help?" She wraps her arms around my bare skin, leading me outside. She pushes me down onto a bench. "Close your eyes." I sink down in my seat, doing as she says. "Breathe deep through your nose and out through your mouth." I feel something warm wrap around me. "Now think of something that makes you happy, something that brings a smile to your face. It could be your favorite memory or something that made you laugh so hard you thought you would throw up. Got it yet?"

"Yes."

"Tell me about it. Tell me where you were, what the air smelt like. Make sure you keep your eyes closed."

"It was the summer before freshman year. You took my hand and forced me to go to that crappy little diner on ninth street." She giggles in remembrance, "I remember the bell on top of the door ringing as we opened it, it smelt like French fries and cheese. You literally said hi to every single person there." I pause, trying to hold back my grin. "I think you put a dandelion in my hair, your hair was covered in em. The reason that's one of my favorite memories is because we were careless that day, didn't care what anyone thought. Nothing went wrong that day." I feel the tips of her fingers graze against my ear, causing my eyes to flash open.

I stare at her freckled face, her lips twisted into a grin and her cheeks lightly pink. "I did, just like the one behind your ear now. The dandy suits you, Koa."

"How so?"

"Well for starters, it's yellow. The happiest color on the planet, it makes your sapphire eyes pop." She picks at the wilting petals on a purple leaf.

"I think you need one to match mine."

"Hmm, Nope. I think you need your hair covered in them!" She flashes her crazy eyes at me and grabs a butt load of dandelions, stuffing the little stems into my hair.

"Have you gone mad?"

"Mad with happiness? Then yes!"She continues to mess with my hair as we sit in silence.

"Opal."

"Mm?"

"Uh.. thanks."

"For what?"

I shrug, sinking on to the bench. "For... helping me."

"That's what friends are for, silly boy."

"Hey, take your jacket back." I pull her jacket off my chest, placing it in her lap.

"But it's freezing out-"

"All the more reason for you to put it on."

"You have no shirt on."

"Point being?"

"That it's cold and you have no shirt on. I on the other hand, have a long sleeve."

"We're even."

Her red eyebrow lifts up in confusion. "Huh?"

"You have a dress on, which is exposing your legs. I have no shirt, so it's exposing my upper region."

She wiggles her brows and shakes her head side to side. "Thats not the same. Just take my jacket."

"No."

She huffs blowing her hair out of her face, "Fine. I will be right back then."

"Where are you-" She ignores me, walking back into the building.

I close my eyes and lean my head against the back rest of the bench. I open my eyes as I feel something throw onto me. "Did you go into the guys locker room just to get me my shirt?"

Her eyelashes flutter as she grins, gently taking a seat beside me, shrugging her shoulders.

I pull my shirt over my head along with my plain hoodie. "The Opal Clemens I know would never go into a room full of half naked men."

She covers her mouth and giggles, "Nooo, I didn't. You know me all too well Koa Whiley." She brushes her hair out of her eyes, her green eyes staring back at me. "Lets get out of here."

I resist the urge to let my mouth drop open in amazement, "You, Opal, want to ditch the rest of school?"

"Theres only ten minutes till school gets out, so why not? Do you want to?" She inquires, smiling coyly, waiting for my reply.

"Sure."

"Lets walk. It's a nice day and we both could use the fresh air." She pulls her light green jacket on, dragging her hand along the tall withering grass as we walk.

"Do you have a destination in mind? Or do you plan on us getting lost in the wilderness?"

"Hmmm, I'm debating wether I should tell you, or let it be a surprise. Sometimes getting lost is the key to finding yourself."

As we walk to wherever the hell Opal is taking me, she cracks a few jokes here and there, I can't help but laugh at them, she's crazy. But a good kind of crazy. I shove my hands into my hoodie pocket, I stare at the sky as it changes to numerous shades of pink, purple and orange until the sunset dies, leaving us in the darkness.

Darkness, that single word perfectly describes my life. My life is merely the absence of light, I'm too far in the darkness that the light cannot be seen.

"We're here!" Opal chirps, causing my bones to jump at her sudden squeal of excitement.

"Where is here exactly?"

"A place that has great jalapeño burgers, you like spicy right?"

"Yes."

"Okay well I'll order us both a burger and then we'll wander around for a bit longer."

"With what money?"

"The money which I have, in my pocket."

I gaze at her dress, searching for pockets. "I don't think so."

"Oh, I think so. They may be imaginary pockets, but don't worry, the money is in fact real."

"Opal, let me pay for it."

"I shan't let you! You bought food the last time." She sighs, staring at her shoes.

"So? I can afford to buy the food every time, it's not going to break the bank. Come on." We walk into the tiny little hut of a place and order our burgers. Once we get them we walk down the empty streets of downtown Maplesgrove.

She nudges me in the arm with her elbow. "You are a stick. You need protein. Eats it! Or I'll make you."

"How exactly are you going to make me?"

"With my magical powers."

I chuckle, "Whatever, you're an odd one."

"But youuu like it." Her big green eyes watch me, waiting for me to take a bite of my burger.

"Wow."

"So you like it?"

"Like would be an understatement. This is the best damn burger I have ever tried."

"I know! The jalapeños add so much flavor."

"I think I need to sit down this burger is so damn good."

She chuckles and takes a seat on the curb. "Just don't eat it so fast, you don't want a tummy ache."

"No, I need to savor the flavor after every bite."

"I've never been in this part of Maplesgrove. Is that a gym?" She gestures towards Adrenaline Junky, the old boxing gym that Don owns. The place that's practically my home.

"Its a boxing gym."

"Do you go there?" She inquires, taking an enormous bite.

"Sometimes." I turn my head towards the sound of glass bottles breaking and drunken laughter. Steve Raymer and a few of his buds are exiting the bar beside Dons' place. "Opal, I think it's time for us to start walking back." My blood boils at the sight of Steve. He has a black heart, he is the definition of a no good evil deviant.

"It's only six."

"Come on." I grab her wrist and force her to her feet. "Let's go, now!" I growl, causing her back to stiffen at my tone.

"Is everything okay?" She questions.

"Yes. Just walk quickly." She stumbles behind me. "Quicker."

"I can only go as fast as my short legs will let me."

"Guys look it's Koa Whiley!" Steve and his friends howl like wolves into the bleak night.

"Are we in twilight or something?" Opal chuckles softly at her own joke.

I wrap my hand tightly around her wrist, forcing her beside me. "Just ignore it."

"Didn't someone call your name- slow down Koa."

"Koa! Hold up a sec will ya?" Steve calls out from the bar parking lot, heading in our direction.

"Koa, you're hurting my arm." She breaks from my grasp, stopping the both of us in our tracks.

"Opal!" I snap, rubbing my forehead. "It's late. We need to head home."

"I thought we were having fun."

"Opal it's not that." I shake my head, clenching my fist, pulling on her arm. "We need to go!"

"At least let us finish our burgers."

"We're wasting time." My heart rate increases rapidly, thumping at my chest. "Dammit Opal!"

"Hey Koa." A smirk is quick to creep it's way on to Steve's face.

"What the hell do you want Steve? I'm minding my own damn business."

His eyes find there way to Opal, licking his lips like the pervert he is. "Well I happened to see you, thought I'd come say hey."

"Hey, now get lost."

"Whoa whoa whoa, not so fast Koa. Who's your pretty friend?"

I step in front of Opal, "No one. Fuck off."

He chuckles, rubbing my shoulder. "Hold up. I don't want any trouble bud."

I grab his hand, squeezing to the point he squeaks. "I think it's best if you leave us alone."

He rubs his hand, staring at us. "I mean no harm Koa."

"Everything that comes out of your mouth is bullshit."

"Koa, I don't think your father would like the way your talking to me, now would he?"

"I don't give a shit Steve."

He cackles lightly, brushing his hand against me. " Oh, but I think you do. Does your little girlfriend here know what your father does to you?"

"Koa?" Opal whispers, her hot breath hitting my back.

"Coming into your room late at night while everyone else is asleep-"

My fists tighten at my side, before I know it Steve is on the ground, his face bloody, a faint moan coming from his lips. "Anyone else have something to say?" His buds stare at me in shock, staying a safe distance away from me. I turn around and push Opal to walk, causing her to stumble a bit.

After we've walked in silence for a bit, Opal opens her mouth. "Koa, is that...true?"

I gulp, my body feels like it's on fire, my brain feels like it's trying to break free from my skull. My legs wobble beneath me. I wish I could become one with the fallen. I hide my clammy quivering hands in my hoodie pocket, fighting the tears that demand to escape my eyes. I take a deep breath and pretend as if I didn't hear her.

"Koa?" She lays her hand on my shoulder, making my back tense. "Please, talk to me." She says gently.

"What's there to talk about?"

"A lot of stuff. Like what that guy was saying back there."

"Is it true?"

"Was what true?"

She sighs, "The part about your dad."

"Which part about my father?"

"Does he..." she pauses, stepping in front of me. "Do things to you?" I chew on the inside of my cheek, metallic melts in my mouth, a taste that I am now used to. "Please say something."

I try to hide the tears that fall, wiping them away. "What do you want me to say?"

"That it's not true." Her green eyes swollen with tears.

I stay silent, turning away from her gaze. "Oh Koa. I.... I had no idea."

"How could you?"

"I'm so sorry Koa. That's disgusting! I think I'm gonna be sick.. Who else knows?"

"My brothers, my mother, Wilson."

"And you've never told the cops?"

I spit, "The cops? Really? My father being as rich and powerful as he is, he gets away with anything and everything. He owns the cops. Besides how could I tell anyone? I'm ashamed, I'm disgusting, I wish I were dead! Do you not see how badly I want to die?"

"Don't talk like that! You are not disgusting! You aren't, you just aren't Koa!"

"And why not?"

"You're innocent, you're the victim. None of this is your fault. NONE of it, you hear me?!" She weeps into her hands, tears streaming down her face. "Please Koa, please don't say you want to die."

"I'm as good as dead, Opal."

"No," she shakes her head viciously, "don't talk like that. Don't say you want to die, don't say you wish you were dead." She sniffles, trying to fight back her tears but failing miserably. "Just s-sto-op saying that." She trips over most of her words from balling so hard. I don't think I've ever seen Opal cry like this before. She holds her head in her hands, whimpering softly to herself. I feel like I should be the one to comfort her. But how does a dead boy comfort someone?

I stand awkwardly, unsure of what I should be doing. "Why? Why shouldn't I kill myself?"

"Because." She sobs, trying to catch her breath. "I love you."

-

Please if you have enjoyed please leave a review on amazon and goodreads. Thank you so much for your support!!💛

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 680 30
..𝓣𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓱𝓸 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓯𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓼𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮 𝓼𝓵𝓮𝓮𝓹𝓲𝓷𝓰 .. **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ˚*•̩̩͙✩...
489K 9.4K 51
Nathan Kingston has been forgotten by the world. A dad that fucked off when he was young and a mother gone days at a time with work he feels alone. E...
Arcadian By Elijah<3

Teen Fiction

4M 82.9K 36
Arcadian (adj.) idyllically innocent; simple and untroubled by fear or worry. Harper Flores is the human embodiment of a ray of sunshine. She's kind...
648K 14.8K 38
From the outside Juliet Kingston seems to have the perfect life. She has popularity, beauty and a famous dad who seemingly spoils her rotten. But nob...