[*Chapter Fifteen*]

A day has passed since Vicki died

A day has passed since Vicki died. Stefan has done nothing but wallow in self-pity and mope in his bedroom. He has not spoken to Elena, though not any negligence of his own: He's tried, she's either hitting decline, forwarding them to voicemail, or switching her phone off. The only person he was successful with was Darcy.

The past twenty-four hours she's been a Godsend, calling or texting to check-in on how he's feeling. For some particular reason, she can see past the barriers that he keeps so far up he's beginning to think he's a journal wrapped in iron chains. But here comes the little huntress with a key and suddenly she's slowly unravelling the chains, breaking through the steel façade.

Darcy knows deep down Stefan loathes himself, what he is, whom he has become. Yet, here she comes barreling into his, and his brother's life, loosening the shackles, making them question humanity. They have never encountered a person so strong, protective, loyal, empathetic, yet still battle their peculiar inhabiting obscurity. It's left them utterly bewildered and frankly a bit unsettled.

How can one measly human, get them reminiscing their past lives, recalling a once brotherhood, then flash forward hundred-odd years and want to chuck away the loathing and promises of eternal miseries?

But Damon. Damon is back in Mystic Falls for another motive. He came back for another reason, and it's left him wondering is it truly worth it? Worth destroying the only remaining family he has left.

How can this girl get them questioning themselves? Want to fix past mistakes and move forward.

A thud snaps Stefan back to the present. He looks down, seeing the journal he was writing in now on the floor. He reaches down to pick it up when he hears a sound.

"Damon?" Stefan called getting up off the couch.

He walked into the middle of the lounge about to venture into the hallway when another noise alerted him. He paused, straining to hear where it came from, but was stopped by a sudden force knocking him off his feet and on to the floor—sharp fangs scraping his neck.

Stefan was about to throw the person off until he froze realising who the person was.

"Lexi?" He asked in astonishment.

"Hi," She chirped, as her fangs retracted and the veins in her face slithered away.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan asked, still shocked his best friend is in front of him, after many years.

"How could you even ask that?" Lexi rolled her eyes playfully.

"I've missed you," Stefan said as they got off the floor and pulled her into a hug.

"Happy Birthday," Lexi said with a beaming smile.

💜🖤💜

Darcy, Jeremy and Jenna were sat in the police stations waiting room, waiting for Elena to speak with Sherif Forbes. They all had to give individual statements regarding Vicki's whereabouts. The three were bored. Darcy and Jeremy took it up to themselves to keep entertained.