[*Chapter Fifty-Four*]

3rd POV

3rd POV

Darcy was going to kill her. The Gilbert girl thought as she ran through the large mass of students and residents swarming about outside the school, preparing the float.

One moment Elena was talking and having a rare joke around with her brother, and the next, he was gone, lost in the crowd. And if she doesn't find him, she can guarantee her death will be next on Darcy' list. The thought caused her steps and breath to speed up, pushing and shoving her way through the numerous individuals.

Her mind was whirling in different directions, rendering her to come over dizzy. Just how long did Darcy know about the device' purpose? And just what is she planning? And to what extents will Darcy go to protect them? Will she follow into the crossfire, or will she lead it?

Elena halts her movements, the soles of her converse skidding on the tarmac of the school's car park. She twists and turns, weaving through the throngs of school kids, trying to glimpse Darcy' or Jeremy' familiar forms or even Bonnie. They can't be far; they were only a few paces behind. How did it all change so fast?

She turns around, pushing the strands of her brunette hair behind her ear and freezes. Her breath hitches in her throat, seeing Isobel standing right before her. Where did she come from? How long was she standing there, observing?

"Isobel. What are you doing here?" she asked breathlessly.

Isobel stared at her with no emotion, grasping the strap of her handbag on her shoulder. "I'm your mother, Elena. I want to be more involved in your life."

Elena scoffed bitterly, knowing Darcy' words from this morning were valid. Isobel wasn't here to spark up a relationship with her. She was just another pawn in her game. "I don't want you in my life."

Isobel rolled her eyes in boredom. "I understand that. You already have a lot of people that you care about, but I've been doing some studying. Let's see if I got this right," she pauses, looking around, her eyes immediately fixing on Bonnie through the parted sea of red football shirts.

"There is the witchy best friend, Bonnie. Gonna stay away from that one."

Next, she succeeds in finding Jeremy, forming a sad pout seeing him gazing around the car park, his phone locked on his ear, looking lost. "Oh...sad little brother Jeremy. Well, he was, I guess the guard dogs to thanks for that. Not for long."

Her eyes move over to Caroline sitting on the float as the people around her build the set-up. "And there's Caroline...obnoxious Caroline. I got all of my info from her, by the way. She had no idea who I was, and she wouldn't stop yapping. Oh..." she halts, smirking, her eyes glinting with glee as she catches sight of a certain blond-haired boy.

"My second personal favourite, before I went to Yappy... Matt. Friend, ex, Yappy's future and your possible boyfriend again in the future, and all the information I needed for a certain little Guard Dog... definitely got to watch that one," a chuckle escaped her lips as her gaze met a stunned Elena. She then spins around, looking for the dark-haired female. A grin materialises, glimpsing her talking to Tyler Lockwood before she jumped up on the float and said something to Caroline, prompting the blonde to throw her head back and laugh.