[*Chapter Forty-Four*]

Darcy's talisman is above!

Music - Who You Are - Jessie J

WARNING: beware of the trauma ahead. The author holds no responsibility for the anxiety and stress that the content may cause.

It was approaching nighttime now, and Darcy had to squint her eyes to see through the increasing darkness. The very minimal lights did not help her cause. Her heels left the car parking lot, meeting the soft manicured lawn, her long inky hair looked like a rippling lake, swaying left and right as her head whipped in different directions. A slim hand slithered down to her thigh, fingers caressing along the wooden stakes, calmed down her racing heart. She prayed. She caught Stefan in time. However, the decades he's been without human blood sent her blood pressure rising again.

In the distance, past the long wall of canopy trees, Darcy could make out two black shapes, her pace sped up, the sky a blur of the stars as she leapt towards them. Her gut knew it was Stefan and Amber. She wouldn't let Stefan do this to himself, sliding down that dark, gloomy slippery slope. Not again.

"Stefan!"

Stefan's downcast head whipped up at the sound of her voice, his attention switching away from Amber, who stood in front of him with a snap. "You shouldn't be here."

"Well, unfortunately for you, I am," Darcy said, her eyes roaming over Amber for any blood or wounds. Her blood froze, seeing the two incisions along her neck. She felt her walls hardening as she turned her intense stare to Stefan, her steps lessening as she closed the distance between them.

"I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother," Stefan said, turning his back on Amber, his voice and startling gaze on The Protectress, pleas for her to understand the war brewing inside him.

"Then let Amber go. You can fight this, and we'll fight this together. Let her go and come with me," Darcy said, extending her hand.

"Do you want to hurt me?" Amber asked from behind them.

"Why would you say that? I'm trying to give you a getaway from having you drained of your blood," Darcy exclaimed, whirling around on Amber.

"I don't want to hurt you. I want to kill you. I want to rip into your skin, and I want to feed on your blood," Stefan answered as he walked behind Darcy and pushed her hair aside. He lowered his head, brushing his lips along the column of her throat. "Under your skin, pulsating, floating, your carotid artery right here," his fangs skimmed the skin between Darcy's neck and shoulder, causing Darcy to shiver from the sensation.

"If you puncher it just right, you can control the blood flow. It takes practice, but it doesn't have to make a mess, and you don't have to waste any."

"What's stopping you?" Amber asked, trembling in fear.

"The urge is too much temptation for me not to give in," Stefan stepped around Darcy and cupped her face, his back to Amber. "But If I do this, If I give in, there's no going back, and I lose my Darcy."