[*Chapter Forty-Nine*]

*Warning; very long chapter ahead*

I'd advise you not to skip or perhaps take breaks. Enjoy!

*•*•*•*•*

The phone in Damon's pocket began to buzz as he made his way upstairs. He paused midway and dug the cellular device out, frowning at the unrecognised caller ID on the screen.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Alaric Saltzman."

"Before I hang up, how did you get this number?" Damon asked as he continued his path up to the first floor.

"Ah, it's a mystery. Listen, I've been doing some digging on Elena's and Darcy's uncle. You interested?"

"Technically, he's not Darcy's uncle... but carry on. What kind of digging?" Damon asked, pausing outside the door of one of the numerous guest rooms in the Boarding House. He knocked, hearing the wooden floorboards creak before the door clicked open, and Darcy's head appeared through the gap.

He raised his finger to his lips, signalling for her to be quiet as he pushed his way through and reclined, feet crossed on the bed. Darcy frowned and shut the door, and propped up against the wooden drawers opposite him.

"I've got an old friend from Duke, who studied Criminology when we were there together. Let's just say he's become a very proficient digger," Alaric's voice flowed through the speakerphone as Damon sat it beside him on the bed.

"Well, did he find anything, by chance?" Damon asked.

"Well, I had him run a track on John' cell records. He was getting a call from a number, the same number Elena dialled to get Isobel, and then it was disconnected."

Isobel? Darcy rose an interested brow and sat beside Damon, frowning down at the bed covers.

"We already know Isobel knows John," Darcy said, announcing she was too present.

"Darcy?"

"Yep, that be me. What's going on, Ric?"

"I'm not even going to ask why you're there... Well, after that, John started getting calls from a new number, and I had my friend run a geotrack. We got the address, and it's... and apartment in Grove Hill."

"Isobel's in Grove Hill?" Damon asked, glancing at Darcy, both sharing the same thought.

Grove Hill isn't that far from Mystic Falls.

Has Elena's Mother been this close all the long?

"I don't know. I thought we could take a look and see what we find."

"Perfect. Give me the address," Damon grinned at Darcy before jumping up from the bed and making his way towards the exit.

"Oh, so you can go without me? No. I don't think so," a sarcastic snort sounded over the speakerphone.