[*Chapter Twenty*]

"How could you

"How could you... How could you not tell me about Her!"

A door slams in the background.

"Elena? What are you on about?"

An engine chokes to life.

"Why do I look like her!"

"Who the hell is her? I'm not a mind reader! What are you doing?"

"Katherine..."

'Oh, shit!', Darcy thought, eyes widening with realisation. What the hell was she supposed to say? Oh, you have a doppelganger, a doppelganger who happens to look like you, except more vindictive and manipulative? Technically an evil twin who's five hundred years old. Yeah, that would go down smashing. Ha-ha-ha-ha! No, just no!

"Elena...wait! Let me explain..."

The sound of the metal grates then groans and dies out. 'What the hell?'

"No! Why would you not tell me that I'm look-alike of Stefan's ex? How could you not tell me I'm adopted! Don't say you didn't know, because you did. You knew!"

"Please, let's talk about this. I'll tell you everything. Please!" Darcy begs, pacing around her bedroom as she yanks on her tresses out of desperation. In hastiness, she snaps up her car keys, runs down the stairs, wrenches the driver's door open, jabs the key in the ignition and guns it down the street towards the Salvatores.

She gathered since Elena spent the night there, that's where she's trying to run away from. Elena doesn't like confrontation, her dear sister prefers the easier way of life, avoiding pressing matters.

"Fine...my car has stalled and won't start back up...You better tell me the truth."

"I will. I'll tell you everything." Darcy assured as she hung up the call and floored the gas pedal.

What a great way to start the morning, huh?. One thing though why the hell hadn't Stefan told Elena the truth? She shakes her head, sighing at how things quickly turned into a vast mess, why can't things be easy? Why can't everything be fluffy and full of rainbows and unicorns?

Right...this is Darcy's life and not some enchanting fantasy love story, things don't work like that. No, everything has to be a colossal fuck up with asshole vampires running around and breaking hearts.

And what did she promise Stefan if he hurt her sister? She'd put a stake in his heart, maybe she's dramatic, but she sure does not give a shit, no one hurts her family, and that includes bloodsucking best friends.

Darcy finds Elena walking the streets not far from the Salvatore Boarding House. She breaks at a sudden screech and winds down the window, her gaze darkens and pulse spikes in ire as she greets Elena's crumbled tear-stained face.

A pit descends in her stomach as Elena clambers inside the vehicle, bathing the inside with suffocating stillness.

"El?" She glances at her sister after driving around aimlessly for five minutes.