[*Chapter Forty-Five*]

Let's amp up the tension, shall we?

A little heads up, from here on out little bit's of the original plot will alter to fit into Darcy's role.

Further into the night, Elena went to speak with Stefan upstairs whilst Darcy stayed with Damon downstairs. Both hunter and vampire sat on the sofa. The former leant against the fluffy cushions, emitting out a deep sigh. "I don't know about you, Dickmon, but tonight has me wretched. My old age is catching up with me," Darcy muttered through a lyrical chuckle.

Damon copied her actions. An amused scoff slips past his plump pink lips. "Try being a Hundred and Sixty-Nine Years Old, and then come back to me and say you're old," he quipped. He shifted around, laying his head upon her lap, ankles crossed over the arm of the chair and closed his eyes with a soft purr as Darcy ran her nimble fingers through the raven tresses. "You're what... Eighteen... Nineteen?"

Darcy hummed, eyes roaming around the darkened room as she mentally collected her age. The amber flames drifting from the fire provided them with a cosy afterglow and warmth. "Yep, Eighteen. I'll be Nineteen on January the 21st."

Damon creased his eyebrows, blue irises wandering across her delicate features. "Aren't you supposed to be graduated from School by now?"

Darcy groaned and bowed her head, chin laid on her chest. "Don't remind me. I was supposed to graduate this, Summer. However, I missed a school year, so I must retake for that gap. That and with Elena and Jeremy losing their parents, I didn't have the heart to leave them behind, not when they need me the most right now."

"Interesting," Damon hummed, a smirk tugging at his lips.

Darcy lifted her head at the teasing tone of his voice and narrowed her eyes. "What's with the perverted face?"

"What? I don't have a perverted face... It's also good to know you're legal," Damon laughed as she picked up a cushion and smashed it in his face.

"You do. Your eyebrows do this weird wiggling thing, and your lips jut into a smirk and don't get me started on your eyes. They flash, and I know you are thinking perverted thoughts," Darcy grumbled, hitting him a second time before the vampire snatched the cushion out of her grip and tossed it on the floor. "Is that all you think about in the warped mind of yours?"

"Someone's done their homework, huh? And what can I say? I'm a guy and a vampire with raging hormones," Damon said, shrugging his shoulders casually and then jumping off the sofa and sauntering over to his desk, opening the top drawer. "I never got to say before you rudely barged your way into my house."

"I think I have a perfectly valid reason, thank you very much," Darcy said sarcastically, ignoring his teasing remark and watched as Damon strolled back over and placed a wooden box into her hands.

"Is this what Pearl stole from John?" Darcy traced her digits over the rough exterior of the box that oddly resembled a music box. Her fingers fumbled as they pushed up the lid, revealing mechanism dials. "What's so special about this?"