[*Prologue - Part Two*]

"Darcy!" Miranda Gilbert calls upstairs to her eldest daughter, idling by the front door, adorned in her dressing gown and slippers, keys in hand at the ready

Darcy was in the process of slipping on her leather jacket, about to head out and pick up her sister, Elena, after she missed several calls when her mother called. She throws it on, glancing longingly at her comfy bed and pads out into the hallway, pausing at the top of the staircase and seeing her mother's frazzled appearance.

"Yeah, everything okay?" she asks, raising a plucked eyebrow.

"Elena snuck out and went to the party...after we told her no, she wants us to pick her up...something about Matt and a fight. I couldn't hear over her slurred speech and that awful loud music blasting down my ears," Miranda said, rolling her eyes.

Tonight was a typical game night; every Friday, the Gilberts would set up a few board games, kick up on the Xbox and have a good laugh. But Elena, as usual, was being a whinge bag and moaning about making out with Matt and wanting to go to the end of school party in the forest.

Drunk Elena was not fun to deal with; imagine babysitting a child. Yeah, she turns into a snot-nosed spoilt brat. Darcy skips down the stairs, slipping on her black calf-length combat boots over her skinny black jeans and continues through to the lounge, roughing up her little brother's hair and kissing Aunt Jenna's cheek, who paused the game was playing on the Xbox, tuning into their talk.

Picking up her car keys off the kitchen counter, she rolls her eyes. "What's with that girl and not following instructions? She called me too, wanting to be picked up. Also, they need to call it quits already. I'm getting fed up with being Matt's wing-woman."

Seriously, she's getting fed up being brought into their fights. Just because she's Matt's best friend doesn't mean she has to get dragged into their arguments.

"We can go together. Your Dad's waiting in the car," Miranda said, anxious about the idea of her daughter driving off after her drunk sister.

Jeremy pulls the drapes back from the window, revealing a thick mist hovering over Mystic Falls. "Yeah, I agree with Mum. You can't drive out in that. It's not safe."

Darcy skips over to her baby brother, and a fond grin tugs at her red-stained lips. She pinches his cheeks, causing Jeremy to groan and slap her hands away. "Aw, Jer, it's my job to look out for you, not the other way round."

"Fine, but stay close behind, okay?" Miranda relents, knowing she can't win against Darcy. "Come on, we better go. Your dad's waiting in the car."

"Alright, I'm coming. Wait until I get my hands on the little cow."

"Don't hurt her, Darcy," her mother warns.

"I won't...not much," she smirks, escaping her mother's attempt at smacking her up the head. She pauses at the threshold, shouting out to her aunt, who sneakily made her way into the kitchen, hoping to be undetected.