[*Chapter Twenty-One*]

*Strong language*Enjoy! 💜

*Strong language*
Enjoy! 💜

We're in this mess because of you! If you were watching the road, you would have seen the man and avoided him!

Those words echoed around her head like a broken record. Her heart ached with the remembrance of Elena's harsh statement. Was Elena, right? Was the cause of the crash her fault?

Round and round they go, spinning and digging, deeper into the dark void, manifesting and growing with each repeated word. 'Because of you.', 'Your fault.'

The everlasting green trees they passed provided a distraction to the insistent babbling of her sister, who never quite grasped the idea that being quiet meant shut the hell up! Not yap on like a goddam Jack Russel. Seriously was it so hard shut her mouth? No?

God the thoughts in her head made her question her sanity, imaging sick ways to silence the girl, preferably forever after today's stunt. She felt like bitch-slapping, followed by strangling the ungrateful and selfish, immature brat. How can she blame the one person who's stuck by her side since they were kids? The little girl who was a family friend before they became adoptive siblings. The same little girl who was used as a puppet on strings to become their families protector.

While Elena is whining about her parents kept her being adopted a secret, Darcy never really had a proper family. Sure Greyson was like a father to her, but what about her biological family? She doesn't remember them; their faces became a blur after ten years. She does remember her supposed father laying his hands on her pure form, while her pathetic excuse of a mother watched on whilst drunk and high on drugs.

Her eyes watered with unshed tears, ones she will never let fall, she can't because if she did Darcy fears, she'd break apart. How can she remain strong when she's falling apart at the seams? Who would Jeremy turn to when he needed her most? Jenna? Sure she's an amazing woman but doubts she can handle his hormonal outbursts and relapses. Elena? Nah, she mothers too much always in your face demanding to know your every moment step in life.

Was a thank you too much to ask? Because not one single word of appreciation uttered out of her sister's mouth. Instead, she yelled, shouted, whined, and demanded to be taken home.

And for her to sprout those crushing words felt like a knife was stabbing her heart with each remark. How could Elena blame her? The way Darcy saw it, regardless if they were arguing the crash was going to happen either way, with or without the Protectress in the car.

"What did you do with Darcy's car?" Elena bit out, whilst glaring daggers into her sister's back; she was far from pleased being forced to tag along.

Damon's gaze flickered from to road to Darcy's silent shape, he was worried, she's been quiet for far too long. "I left it in the bushes. It was far off from the road. I don't think anyone will bother it." He said, not bothering to look in her direction.