[*Chapter Forty*]

Beware of the chaos ahead!

The music thumped in tandem with her beating core. She swept away the faux sweat coating her forehead and rubbed at her vibrating chest. The racing rhythm of her heart pulsated under her fingertips.

"Damn, Stef, pump those arms any harder. You'll have a girl falling to her knees."

Stefan grunted, the muscles in his arms bulging as he pulled himself up on the high beam in his room. "No one told you to watch."

"How could I not? Some women would pay to watch this show, and lucky me, I get it for free. What did I do in my past life to deserve such honour?" Darcy said.

"You need to get laid," Damon said, walking into the room, a glass of blood in his grasp.

"Who needs to get laid when you have the blessing of such view?" Darcy said, watching as the older vampire turned off the music and sat down in the chair positioned in front of Stefan, placing his glass down on the table nearby.

"When are you going back to school?" Damon asked Stefan.

"Soon," Stefan said as he jumped down and began doing push-ups.

"I can give you a good show," Damon said smugly, looking over at Darcy sitting on Stefan's bed, wiggling his brows.

"Ugh, don't entice me with lethal temptations," Darcy groaned playfully, flinging herself on the bed and throwing her arm over her face.

"Snooze, you lose. Oh, come on. Just drink already. This self-detox is unnatural," Damon said, offering Stefan the blood.

Stefan stood up and moved a few paces away, crossing his arms over his chest. "Can you get that away from me, please?"

Darcy narrowed her eyes, noticing Stefan's gaze grabbed possession of the glass of blood before he got back down on the floor and resumed his exercise.

'He's baiting himself,' she thought.

"How long did it take you to wean yourself off it after you last "indulged"? Damon asked, tilting his head.

Darcy and Damon exchanged worrisome glances when they got no response. 'That's not good.

Stefan waved them off. "I'll be fine. It just takes a little bit of time."

Darcy shook her head; they wouldn't be in this position if a certain someone had not forced him to drink her blood. She stood up off the bed and walked over to Stefan, patting him on the shoulder as he met her stare. "Whatever you decide, Stefan, just know we won't judge you," she sent him a small smile before making her way to the door.

"You not gonna stay and watch the show, Princess?" Damon asked, turning around in the chair, observing as she paused in the open doorway.

"I'll combust if I stay any longer," she tossed over her shoulder with a wink as she left the room, just as fast the façade she had been wearing all morning faded.