chapter 36

song: why'd you only call me when you're high?
by: arctic monkeys

ps: i have a fun little announcement in the end(:

..............

Draco

It was strange. The way love worked. It was strange the effects it had on some of us. Growing up, I was never taught to love. Hell, I didn't even know it existed. I just wanted someone I could confide in, I wanted to be liked, I wanted a friend.

I left that Hospital Wing lonely and disappointed with myself after restoring her memory of our intimate moment. I was failing. I was failing everyone but the Dark Lord. Storm's empty threats had driven me towards insanity and she knew it. It was never her plan in the first place to turn Terra in. She just wanted to frighten me and she had succeeded. The scars would most likely last a while. But I had lost Terra Zatara forever.

So I did what I had to do. When I reversed the Memory Charm, I brought back every moment I had erased from that night except for one. I left out the piece where Terra had seen the Dark Mark. And she wouldn't know, not until I would finish my mission.

I knew after that, she would truly hate me forever.

Terra

"Focus! Miss Zatara."

"Don't you mean, Riddle?" I chuckled sarcastically while rolling my eyes, tipping my chair backwards. These past 5 weeks had been excruciating.

"I am trying to help you." Snape paced the room of his office, his robes swishing back and forth with each stride. I watched him cross the room then turn on his heels and walk back. A pattern he had been repeating for a while now. I groaned and rubbed my temples with annoyance.

"I just need a break."

"Look at your eyes," he snapped, shoving a hand-held mirror to my face. I yanked it from his grip then took a look at my own reflection. To my horror, my eyes had dark almost purple-ish circles underneath. My pupils were shaded nearly a soulless black, spilling into the remainder of my eyes, a color different than my usual green irises. I gasped in horror, tossing the mirror to the side as it clattered to the floor.

I looked exactly like her. The darkness inside me.

"Oh my God..." I whispered, feeling the dread creep over me again.

"You see?" said Snape. "You're losing focus. Control."

He made it sound like I was possessed. I guess in a way, I was.

"Maybe because I haven't been attending in-person class in weeks and I can barely see my friends except for when they visit me," I growled. I was beginning to lose my patience, a common occurrence lately. I had spent the last weeks alone, finishing school while healing from my injuries. It almost felt like jail. "You did this with Harry, didn't you?"

"That was a different area of Occlumency. The Dark Lord was taking control of his mind. Mr. Potter was pitifully worse than you."

"Is that not similar to my situation? Maybe I should see Harry." I grimaced and faced away from the dark-haired professor, staring at the brick wall of the castle.

There was a deafening silence before he spoke. "Did I not make myself clear earlier? Potter was and is dreadful at Occlumency."

"But maybe if I spoke to him we can work through it together." I knew the idea was a stretch.

I never pictured Snape to ever negotiate with his students but then to my surprise he muttered, "Very well. You may see Mr. Potter."

"Wait really?" I laughed incredulously. Snape simply ignored me and exited the room. But I knew right away he had left to seek out Harry, judging by the way he had walked off coldly.