chapter 27

song: dark paradise
by: lana del rey

...........

I sat in the silence of the quite empty library, I humming a song I didn't know the name of. I had suddenly remembered the tune when I had woken up a few nights ago at Hagrid's. Even after all these days, that same tune was drilled in my head, yet I never remembered listening to anything like it. Two taps on the table in front of me made me glance up from my book. I stared at Ambretta and her smeared lip tint, followed by her hair that was no longer in neat waves. Raising an eyebrow, I closed my book and placed my chin in my hands, waiting expectantly. She sighed dramatically as she sat down in front of me.

"I thought he wanted to talk?" I asked while putting heavy emphasis on the word 'talk'. Twirling a strand of red hair around her finger, Ambretta bit down on her lip with an embarrassed grin.

"We may have done more than just talked."

"No need to elaborate!" I interjected but I was already wearing a smirk. "You give in real fast."

"Shut-up!" She scoffed. "Zabini just has a way with words, the way they...roll off his tongue so elegantly—"

"Okay!" I cut in with a nervous chuckle. "So, do you actually like him?"

"Yes. I really do. I just hope he feels the same, and doesn't just consider me as one of his..." she trailed off in thought. "...conquests."

"I'm sure that's not the case. Did you see the way he apologized? No male has the guts to even utter those words anymore." I chuckled with a roll of my eyes.

Ambretta snorted at my words. "You can say that again."

Our moment was interrupted though as we suddenly heard a bunch of books tumble to the ground behind us. I turned around at the same time as Ambretta then found Cho Chang picking up the stack of books she had dropped. A Hufflepuff stood up from the right of me and ran over to help her. Every time I saw Cho Chang I couldn't help but think of Cedric Diggory. The way they strutted the halls together, hand in hand, desperately in love. I thought they would be together forever.

I couldn't erase the thought in my mind that Voldemort had killed him. He was back, and he was stronger. He was the all powerful wizard again that once tried to kill my friend, Harry Potter. And he would not hesitate to try again. The Triwiard Cup was a portkey that led the two to a graveyard. Cedric Diggory was killed instantly, and I couldn't imagine the trauma that Harry was put through as he was forced to duel Voldemort. Gladly, he'd escaped just in time as he took ahold of Cedric and the Triwizard Cup, transporting them back.

But worst of all, for me, this same man was my father by blood. He was the man who appeared in my dreams, coaxing me to join his army. He was the man who wanted to kill my friends. The same man who drove my mother to America. And I still had yet to discover why.

"Thank you," Cho uttered to the Hufflepuff then suddenly locked eyes with me. I forced a smile to my face in greeting and she returned it immediately. Soon enough, she spun on her heels and walked off.

"How long had she been standing there?" Ambretta whispered. I nudged her away from my ear.

"Long enough to hear our entire conversation about Blaise." I shrugged my shoulders. Ambretta rolled her eyes.

"Let's go back to our dormitory."

"Actually, I was wondering if we could take a trip to the Astronomy tower, the view is incredible! I have class there." I grinned. But a look of terror etched itself into Ambretta's features.

"Listen, Edwards. There's a reason why I don't play Quidditch." I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "I'm afraid of heights," she added.

"You used to drag me to watch the Ravenclaws practice all the time."