chapter 30

song: arcade
by: duncan laurence FEAT. fletcher

-this chapter isn't that sad but this version of arcade was recently released and it had me in tears it's so beautiful. so i like to think that when i incorporate this song into the book, the woman singing represents terra's character-

...........

Draco

Fleeing from the Slytherin table, I speed-walked out of the Great Hall, seeming careful not to attract any attention. I felt my wrist burning and with every twitch of the hand, I winced. I found myself blindly entering a girls lavatory that no one used. It was an easy spot to hide, no one usually entered because of Moaning Myrtle. Making my way to the sink, I ripped off my robes and unbuttoned my left white sleeve that was now faintly stained bright red. Rolling up the sleeve, I stared at the word engraved vertically in the side of my wrist. I sucked in a sharp breath at the sight of the mildly offensive word.

Coward

It was written in her handwriting, with all the spirals she included in her calligraphy. Even at this moment, I could almost hear her cackling in my ear, menacingly. I knew this was a result of when I had told her that I wasn't afraid of her. She wanted me to be scared, she enjoyed the idea of being feared. But her minor cuts and burns in my skin could in no way match up with the terror I felt every single time that I saw the Dark Lord. I knew Storm wouldn't kill me, that wasn't her job. I could fight back if I wanted to but if I did, then Terra's safety would be at risk. This was the same reason I couldn't inform Snape or my mother of Storm's evil games. I was always on my own, feeling as if I was fighting in the dark with a gag over my mouth.

The word had magically carved its way into my skin. Another one of Storm's bloody spells. This was her way of keeping track as to how many times I was speaking to Terra, holding a conversation, being kind. The word was small but nonetheless it burned and ached. Shakily, I lifted a hand and gripped the gold faucet that was slightly covered with rust. Cold water gushed out immediately as I bent lower and placed my wrist under it, washing away the red liquid that was beginning to trail down my arm. When I glanced up to look at my reflection in the mirror, there was a ghostly face gazing back at me with a grin. Startled, I swiveled around to locate the face. There she stood as a chortle of laughter escaped her lips.

"Hi Draco." She dragged out that pitchy yet raspy voice of hers. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. Of course, it was only Moaning Myrtle.

"What?" I snapped as I turned around and rinsed my wrist under the sink again. A gasp fell from Myrtle's lips.

"Feisty," she whispered. "It's okay, Draco. I won't tell your secrets to anyone. Not like, anyone even comes here to talk to me anyway," she whimpered then floated over to the sinks next to me. She rested herself so it appeared she was lounging in the sink. I rolled my eyes then shut the rusty faucet off. Sliding my sleeve back down and buttoning it, I slipped back into my robes, delicately hiding my scars beneath them. I winced again, feeling my sleeve graze the cuts.

"Yeah? Well, I'm also one of those people," I muttered, then stormed out of the lavatory before she could even begin sobbing in response to me hurting her feelings. But before the door could even shut all the way behind me, I heard her giggle in the distance.

"You'll be back."

The gift I had left for Terra was a success and a failure. I had purposely used the Levitation Charm to place the gift in plain sight the moment I saw Sphinx enter the common room. But I had forgotten to remove the note I had written for her months before and tucked it underneath the jewelry. Clearly, the writing itself gave it away.