Chapter 25

I was at Starbucks when I saw Cat getting 4 coffees and a lemonade. As she always did. I pushed my braid behind my shoulder and waved. She didn't notice.

Why was she mad at me? She was the one who asked for a second chance. I went up to her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Tilda?" she asked, putting the coffees she was getting down on a table. "W-what's up?"

"Grey wanted me to get Starbucks for him after a derby meet, so I'm here. I assume you're on your Heathers coffee run?" I asked, pointing to Cat's ginormous coffee order. Cat nodded furiously and said, "Yep."

Out of the blue, Lex walked in Starbucks and hugged me. I saw Cat back up awkwardly.

"Ooh! Who's the crush? Lex asked, pointing to Cat.

"She's not my crush! Lex, we're in public! Learn to shut your mouth for once!" I snapped. Lex just cackled. I looked at Cat blushing in the corner.

Was she blushing at me...or Lex? It was hard to tell.

"Come on, Matilda. This girl's obviously crushing on you." Lex said. "I dare you to go ask her out."

"No! Alexandra, what in the world are you thinking?" I asked, lightly slapping her on the arm.

Suddenly, Comet ran in the door of the Starbucks. Why was everyone I know in the same Starbucks at the exact same time?

"Oh my God! ERIKA! Tilda has another girlfriend!" Comet yelled, making everyone stare. Lex whispered in my ear, "Just play along." I swatted her hand away, but Lex grabbed it. I guess I really was pretending that I was dating her.

"WHAT?" Cat yelled, looking to me and Lex. I saw tears form in Cat's eyes and she said, "The literal minute I called it off, you went out and got another girlfriend? That's it!" Cat grabbed her coffees and ran out the door, sucking on the straw of her lemonade like her life depended on it.

"Dude! You made the girl jealous! I'm proud!" Lex said, high-fiving me.

"Why would I be proud of that?" I said, swatting Lex's hand away and dragging her outside.

"We just played a cruel prank on the most vulnerable and sensitive girl I've ever met! Why in the world would you think that would be a good idea?" I yelled.

"Okay, in my defense, I've never met the girl before! Sue me!" Lex yelled.

"Alexandra Laurier. That's Cat, my ex-girlfriend!" I said.

I just realized. I don't think I've ever introduced Cat to Lex before.

"So? What is that supposed to mean?" Lex yelled. "Matilda Leigh Price, I'm done with your crap. Why can't you have a little fun once in your life?"

"1. That's not my name, you know I got adopted, it's Matilda Leigh Henson. And 2. Cat's been through more trauma than most adults, and she's really sensitive and gullible. And if she gets mad at me over this, I'm telling her that it's your fault." I said, walking towards Cat's apartment.

"Wait! Tilda!" Lex said, catching up to me. I stopped short and turned around to face her.

"If you don't apologize to both me and Cat, I'm not speaking to you." I said firmly.

"Wait! Tilda! God, adoption's messed you up." Lex said under her breath.

______

I reached Cat's apartment and took a deep breath. What if Cat didn't want to talk to me? I knocked on the door and Jessica answered.

"Matilda?...Matilda. Elle! I need to talk to you!" Jessica said, then slammed the door in my face. I backed up and then someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and Evan was standing there.

"Matilda? What are you doing here? I heard you and Cat were no more." Evan said, sitting down on the front steps with me.

"Long story. We are no more, my friend tricked me into playing a cruel prank on Cat and I came here to apologize. Even though she did say she wanted a second chance." I said.

"What was the prank?" Evan asked.

"My friend Lex made me pretend that me and her were dating in front of Cat." I said. "I made Cat cry, I feel horrible."

"Yeah, that's why I'm here. I got a call that Cat was a little upset and wanted some company, so I'm here." Evan said. I nodded.

"Is Cat okay?" I asked.

"I'm honestly not sure, Tils. Let's hope she's doing okay." Evan said, opening the apartment door. He gestured for me to come in and I followed him.

"I have found a wild Matilda in her natural habitat. Observe." Evan said, pointing towards me. Elle was in the living room, not amused.

"How's Cat doing?" Evan whispered to Elle. Elle sighed and said, "She's not taking it...well. Jessica's talking to her." She finally noticed me and said, "Hello Matilda."

"Hi." I said, waving.

"Please don't get mad at Tilda. It's not her fault." Evan pleaded. "Her friend tricked her into playing a prank on Cat."

"Oh. That's what I thought, because that's unlike Matilda to do something like that." Elle said.

I could only muster a nod. I still felt horrible for hurting Cat's feelings. But in my defense, she was the one who broke my heart in the first place.

"Matilda? Are you okay?" Elle asked. I swallowed back my fear and said, "Yeah. I'm fine."

Cat came out of her room and I gulped. I was not in the mood for her to yell at me.

"Hey Tilda?" Cat asked. I sighed and said, "Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you?"

AN: Come on, it wouldn't be one of my books without a cliffhanger! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!