Chapter 37

"Only a few days until your derby meet, Tilda!" Grey said, barging into my room. I groaned and rolled over, not wanting him to wake me up at the crack of dawn only to tell me news I've known for the past week. It just didn't make sense, right?

"Dad! Quit! God, it's 6AM on a Friday during school vacation, why the early start?" I said, throwing a pillow at my dad.

"What's with the pillow throwing, Matilda? Anyway, I know it's been a hard few days for you, so the cast and I wanted to know if you wanted to go have fun today!" Grey said. I groaned and buried my head under the pillow again.

"Hey Dad?" I said, getting a bright idea. Grey sat on my bed and said, "Yeah, Matilda?"

"Can I teach you how to roller skate?" I asked.

"Matilda Leigh Henson, are you insane?" Grey said. I laughed and said, "It's really not that difficult, as long as you're not actually skating derby right away. I remember my first derby match. God, I had a bruise the size of Texas on my thigh after that day."

"How did you start derby?" Grey asked.

"I originally was a softball player. But then I decided that I wanted something more. And I bought a pair of roller skates at a yard sale, signed up for a derby team, and the rest is history. Now, come on, Dad. I'm teaching you how to skate and you can't protest or do anything about it, okay?" I said. Grey groaned and I cheerfully handed him my second, older pair of skates.

"Are you sure these will fit me?" Grey said.

"Maybe." I said, getting my own skates and heading outside. I sighed and put the skates on my feet, first the right one, then the left. Grey looked over my shoulder and did the same thing.

"You know what? Tilda? I don't think I want to do this, I'll make a fool out of myself." Grey said, tossing my second pair of skates towards me.

"Fine with me." I said, slightly disappointed. "I still can't believe tomorrow will mark my first derby meet without Lex."

"I know. She was your best friend since...I don't even know how long." Grey said, slightly chuckling.

"Sixth grade." I said. "I've known her since I was eleven years old."

"That's a long time, Tilda." Grey said. I giggled and skated down the street. In the weeks I've been off skates, I had forgotten how amazing the feeling was.

I smiled and turned to Grey, undoing my braids as I skated and letting my hair blow in the wind. It was a feeling I slightly hated, but today I kind of enjoyed it.

I loved it.

I loved skating with my entire being, I loved my dad, I loved Eliana and Blake and Cat, I loved my life.

And upon realizing that my first derby meet in a while, since my liver surgery, since Lex died was coming up fast, that gave me more joy than you could ever imagine.

It put a smile on my face. 

AN: A little change of plans, this is the second to last chapter of Adopted by Mean Girls! Sorry I haven't updated this book in forever, I wanted to focus on Josie and Cat for a while. Hope you enjoyed and catch ya later! Love you all!