Chapter 3

I was walking around Times Square when I saw a girl who looked around my age playing saxophone on a street corner.

"Dang, you're really good." I said.

"Heh, thanks!" the girl said, tying her hair back. "My name is Cat, like the Cat in the Hat."

"I'm Matilda. Like Matilda Wormwood." I said.

"I love that book." Cat said. "I was almost in the musical version, but I decided to do Seussical instead. I played JoJo."

"That's awesome! I'm a bit of a childish person, if I'm being honest." I said. I didn't usually tell people that.

"That's cool. I take Mandarin Chinese in school." Cat laughed. "And play saxophone on the side." She sighed, and said, "I've had this sax since I was 12 years old."

"How old are you now?" I asked, sitting down with her as she put away her saxophone.

"I'm 16. Everyone asks when I'm getting my driver's license, but my mom won't let me drive. Strict parents." Cat said, and I laughed. "Anyway, what do you do for fun? I've been doing ballet for the last 4 years."

"I do roller derby. I've been doing that my whole life. I feel way more comfortable on wheels then I do on my own feet." I said.

"Roller derby? What's that?" Cat asked.

"Um...it's basically a bunch of girls skating around a track, but they all shove each other over and crap like that. It's so much fun." I said.

"Sounds like something my family would be into. Especially my older brothers." Cat laughed. "We play family games of Capture the Flag all the time and that turns into a mess. You should join us sometime!"

"Yeah, I'll ask my parents." I said. Lies. I didn't have any parents. But Cat didn't know that.

"You sound really suspicious about that. Don't worry, I was adopted too. I know what it's like, feeling like you don't have a family, but at the same time, you do." Cat said.

Oh crap. Cat was onto me.

"Yeah. I'm just getting fostered." I said, not saying by who.

"You look like a younger version of my mom!" Cat said, giggling. "I used to have long hair, too. I cut it short and dyed it blue in secret when I was 13 and haven't grown it out since. My mom flipped. She usually never gets mad, but oh boy, she was furious at me!"

"Your mom sounds great." I said, feeling a little jealous of Cat. My heart sort of ached, she had a family and I didn't.

"Yeah. She really is. That's the nice thing about getting adopted into a big family, you always have someone in your corner." Cat said.

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked.

"4 older siblings. Two sisters and two brothers." Cat said. "You?"

"Well, I had two younger sisters. But my mom kicked me out." I said.

"That really sucks. I'm sorry." Cat said. "You should come over sometime! That is, if my mom approves, which she probably will."

"Yeah, I'll have to ask the people I'm staying with." I said. "I have to go, see ya?"

"Wait!" Cat said before I turned towards the August Wilson. She took my phone and started tapping on it. "That's my phone number. Text me anytime."

"You got it." I said.

Cat giggled and headed to her house and I headed to the theatre, which was in the opposite direction.