Chapter 37

Tear rolls down her face when I speak to her about her daughter. I tell her about how our relationship went from the beginning, to how she's in the hospital right now. She stays quiet besides the loud sniffles that leave her.

She tells me how she hit her before she left to Sydney. I feel some anger towards the woman, but I know she regrets it and I know Demi probably has even forgotten, or forgiven her. Demi told me how she believes in second chances, and how she wanted to get back in touch with her family, so I guess she must have done one of the two.

I guess that's why I'm here. I wanted Demi to wake up feeling loved and cared for, with no worries, and I wanted to take this one off the list. I also wanted to make sure, that if she decided she didn't want to come back to Sydney with us, she would still have support from other people, like Joe and her mother.

Joe should be coming in a few days so she will at least have them, the boys and me when she wakes.

My eyes scan her face, and I instantly see Demi's features on the woman. Her eyes are almost identical, besides Demi has a slight green tint to her eyes. They both have full lips with a deep cupid's bow.

For some reason, it just feels great to see where Demi gets her personality and looks from. I know I'll never see her father because he left when Demi was young, seeing her every few months, and the visits stopping at the age of eleven; though she never seemed bothered by it. She rather hated the man for leaving her mother and I guess I understand that.

The woman gets angry at Dean for what he's done, and I understand that more than anything. I trusted the guy, so did this crying lady, and now he's hurt her daughter, and the person I love most in the world.

I glance back at my watch and see it's half eight. I know I should have been back half an hour ago, but I knew I couldn't just tell her mother everything, and then just leave as quickly as I entered.

"Claire, I need to get back to the hospital. She shouldn't be awake for a while, but you can come any time or day if you want. I'll call you when they take her off the sedation because it shouldn't take her long to wake up after that" I say standing to my feet.

She nods quickly and squeezes my hand. "I wish my ex husband loved me as much as you love my daughter. I'm so glad you stole her love instead of keeping leaving it with that abomination of a man"

I nod in agreement that I'm glad she didn't still love him, but me, and go to leave. I turn round to the woman and smile at her. "It's a gift more than anything. I would have never wished for someone so perfect for your daughter. I thank you for bringing her into so many lives; my life would be so meaningless without her. Thank you"

A tear quickly falls down her cheek from my words but I don't regret them. I want to thank this woman over and over again for bringing Demi up the way she has. I do wish she'd not hurt her or let her be with Dean, but in a selfish way I am glad, otherwise I wouldn't have had the gift of meeting her.

I open the door and close it behind me as only seconds before; she collapses on the floor crying. I know there is nothing I can do, and I know she just needs to get all her emotions out.

She's defiantly been beating herself up over what went down before Demi left. I just hope she understands that now is the best time to set everything straight and that Demi wants to rekindle their relationship just as much as her mother does.

"Wow, I thought you'd be parked outside and came in as soon as it strikes eight, but it's nearly nine, so what's up?" The nurse says when I enter Demi's room dragging my suitcase. She glances down at it and rolls her eyes like she already knew I'd bring it.