Chapter 29

Demi's POV

I rub my eyes and grimace at the dry crust clinging my eyelashes. I rub my palms over them till they glide smoothly and stand. I curse when my back cracks caused from the awkward position I was laid in on the couch.

She's still sleeping so I decide to get ready before she gets up. I get a glass of water and scrunch my nose up at the taste. People say water doesn't taste like anything but I think it tastes of metal. I gulp it down and slowly my throat's burn calms down.

"Someone's up early," his voice makes me jump from the sudden sound. I put the glass in the sink and turn to face him. He's only wearing boxers and his dark hair swept across his forehead.

"Do you have to go to work?" I ask and pray he says no. He went yesterday and I'm leaving on Monday. I wanted to at least go out and spend time with him.

"Yeah, sorry. I promise we'll hang out later. I have the rest of the weekend off so we can still do something before you go" he gives me a reassuring smile, stands and places his half drank coffee in the sink.

I haven't seen him for three years, only seeing him for four days and he'll be working for two. The first I had to spend crying and wishing I'd not come and today I'll probably spend it the same.

"Come for an hour. I'll make you some pancakes and then you can go shopping if you want. You haven't been out of this house, and neither has she" he gives me a judemental look and I sigh.

"I don't really feel like it Joe, maybe tomorrow." I give him a small smile and pull my greasy hair into a mess on top of my head.

"So today are you just going to cry, eat all my food out of my cupboards, ignore your daughter and spend the day listening to them sing in your ears?" He raises his eyebrow and I'm quickly getting annoyed at the 'seriously?' gesture.

He's right, that's what I had planned for today. I'd spent the past day downloading every song, every picture I could find on twitter, like an obsessed fan. I'd practically memorised every lyric and cried harder when they remotely connected with 'us'.

"I know Joe. I know what you're thinking. I just want to go back home. This isn't where I belong. I've been here less than two full days and I've cried for most of them. This place isn't good for me, especially not anymore" I lean against the counter and Joe's face drops. He walks towards me and rubs my arms.

"You have today, tomorrow and Monday morning to make up your mind Demi, whether this is your home or not. I think it is but you have to make up your mind. You can't make up your mind sat in here all day. Come, have breakfast and then I'll see if I can get off early so we can go and do something fun" He says softly and tucks a stand of my hair behind my hair. Fuck hair ties that don't tie all of your hair!

I nod and grabs his uniform from the dryer. "Go get a shower because you smell worse than sweaty balls!" He laughs and I give him a small chuckle.

I grab my suitcase that is still in the living room and carry it up to the bathroom. I turn the shower on and jump in. I mentally laugh at the strawberry shampoo and conditioner that Joe must use. I quickly wash my hair and body before wrapping a towel around my body and getting my makeup bag out of my suitcase.

I mositurize my face and dry my hair with the towel because I can't be arsed to find Joe's hair dryer. I wrap the towel back round my body and smile when the towel stays hung on my chest. I apply layer after layer of concealer and foundation. I coat my eyes in mascara and make a small wing with my eyeliner.

I leave it as that and open my suitcase. I pull out some jeans, a black vest top and oversized sweater. These are my comfy clothes and it doesn't bother me that the sweater is probably three sizes too big; even though it's supposed to be oversized anyway. I put them on and grab my black snake skin Doc Martens that I'd bought all those years ago with Chloe.