Flu Season

It was in the middle of winter in Grimsborough and snow covered the ground and everywhere. It was cold and it was flu season. People were in their homes and snuggled up to the fire as they hug each other. People were easily able to get sick and flu shots were readily available.

Amir's POV

I had gotten my flu shot a few weeks ago. It doesn't matter if I get the vaccine or not, I always end up getting sick anyway. I held out hope though, it's been a few weeks, I'll be just fine! I walked into the break room and then made myself a cup of coffee to help and maybe warm me up. I sipped from it. I felt tired from the days work, more tired then I normally would. I watched as Jones and Gloria and everyone else walks into the break room. I smiled at them.

"It's cold out there, you should be careful or prepared at least."- Jones says.

"This might be the coldest winter Grimsborough has ever seen!"- Martine replies.

"Well, it's cold, but it certainly isn't Chicago cold."- Gloria suggests.

"Yes, we get that it's cold. But what are we supposed to do about all this snow? It's icing the roads. How are we supposed to drive our squad cars down the road if the roads are completely iced and frozen?"- Jones asks.

"That's what I've been trying to work out. We might need to go out and even have to go out in the weather to shovel snow! Or perhaps we need to get a snowplow to help put salt on the roads. "- Chief Parker explains.

"Well you certainly won't see ME out there shoveling snow!"- I say, continuing to sip from my coffee.

"We're just trying to help the people of Grimsborough, Amir. But your help would be nice!"- Gabriel says.

"We'll start tomorrow, everyone dress warm!"- Chief says.

"So we won't have a case to work tomorrow?"- I ask.

"No. We'll be shoveling snow."- Chief replies.

"Alright I'll see you guys tomorrow."- I reply, finishing my cup of coffee and putting it in the sink.

I got up and walked out of the building and to the car. I'm tired... I really don't want to drive. I got into the front seat and turned the car on as I inserted the key into the ignition. I pulled out of the parking spot and then drove out of the parking spot. I drove down the street and then to our apartment. I pulled into our driveway and parked the car. I grabbed my key and then walked to the front door of our apartment. I fumbled around and as I dove my hand into my pocket and started looking for my apartment key. I didn't find it in my left pocket and searched in my right pocket. I found it and sighed in relief. I opened the front door and was greeted by Jasper wrapping his arms around me in a hug. I smiled. He smiles at me and kisses my forehead. I felt something touch my legs and rub up against my shins. I looked down and was greeted by our cat.

"Hi, honey! How was you're day at work?"- Jasper asks.

"It was good, but I'm tired! Today was exhausting."- I mumble.

"Really? Well, you can sleep after we have dinner."- He replies.

"Okay. I'm fine with that."- I reply, as he lets go of the embrace and then he went to the kitchen.

I took off my scarf, my knit hat, and my coat. I put my coat on the coat rack and sat my scarf and hat on the table where we keep everything important we need to grab just before we leave the house. I sat down on the couch and our cat rubs up against me. I scooped her up and I held her in my arms as I sat on the couch. It felt like I almost sank into the sofa as I sat there. I started to nod off and hugged the cat as I did so. Jasper came into the room and shook me gently by grabbing my shoulders. I was startled and my eyes opened. He smiled and then started to laugh.