A Story To Tell

A oneshot for BF_1352

Lauren's POV

Humming as I scamper through the kitchen, I try to think about what to make for dinner. What would Elliot and Lorelai want? I opened the freezer, looking at what we had in there. There were some steaks in the freezer and I got an idea. I can cook up some steaks and potatoes. I grab a pan to cook the steaks in along with seasoning to go with it. I won't have enough time to make mashed potatoes from scratch, but I can doctor up some powdered ones. I get another pot for the potatoes. I mash the steaks, flattening them to a good thickness. I then sprinkle seasoning on top of the steaks and spread the seasoning over the whole of the steak. I put some marinade on there too. Once the steaks were done being prepared, I put them into the oven. I fix the temperature and then turn to the potatoes. I put the powdered potatoes in the other pan I set out. I added some water and milk, mixing it until it became watery and one single mixture. I took to stirring it for the required fifteen minutes and also checking the steaks while I did it. The steaks still need to cook.

"Mom, what are you cooking?" A voice asks.

I turn to see my daughter, Lorelai, standing there. She twirls a strand of her black hair. Her blue eyes sparkle with mystery and intrigue.

"I'm making steak and mashed potatoes. How would you like your steak done?" I reply.

"I don't want any red in my steak." Lorelai returns.

"Alright. Your dad should be here any minute now though. Tell him to come into the kitchen please." I say.

"Okay. I'll go wait in the living room!" She hums.

I continued stirring the pot of mashed potatoes, mixing in some butter and garlic. I decided to sprinkle some salt and pepper in there. I hummed while doing all of this. As I was making my last check on the steaks, I heard the front door open. I hear my husband laugh and Lorelai greets him. They were chatting as they entered the kitchen. I soon feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist and I am pulled into a hug. I look up and meet Elliot's eyes. He smiles and I kiss him on the lips as hello.

"Why, hello to you too, love," Elliot says, chuckling.

"I'm glad to see you after a long day. Dinner's almost ready. How do you want your steak done?" I respond.

"Steak, eh? We'll be eating well tonight. I'll have mine medium rare." He replies.

"Oh, let me get that for you! Although, since it's almost ready, you two could help me set the table." I request.

"Of course Mom!" Lorelai beams, getting plates from the cabinet.

"Okay. On it, Ma'am!" Elliot agrees, kissing my cheek and then grabbing some other supplies.

I checked the steaks and they were all done to everyone's preferred temperatures and desires. I slip on a pair of oven mitts and then take the steaks out of the oven. I walked over to the table and placed a steak on each person's plate. I picked up the pot of mashed potatoes and put it on the table. Elliot got drinks for the three of us. He got water for everyone. I take my seat and tell everyone to dig in. Lorelai sprinkles pepper and salt over her steak, cutting into it and taking a bite. Elliot puts a spoonful of mashed potatoes into his mouth, giving me an approving nod.

"So, I want to ask, how was everyone's day?" I query.

"I think it was pretty good. We wrapped up a case that we've been working on for weeks, of course, I can't tell you guys details, although I wish I could." My husband informs.

"Why can't you ever tell us about the stuff you do, Dad?" Lorelai questions.

"It's confidential legalities, sweet pea, I can't say anything about the cases I work." He says.