Taste Of Success

A oneshot for Anne_Frances3201

Adelaine's POV

We aren't exactly having the best time with theatre right now. Our Arts Director quit due to personal issues. She's moving to a new state with her mother after she divorced her husband. Now we're looking for a replacement. I have a list of potential replacements but I still don't have a clue who could be fit for the job. Mrs. Donaldson steps back into her classroom, noticing our struggle, and comes over. She reads over the names on my list, looking over my shoulder.

"You know what we're looking for is someone passionate about the arts, any adult who loves art is a great fit." Mrs. Donaldson hums.

A name suddenly pops into my head, and then an idea. I look over at Kelsey and Gabriella, who seems to be thinking on the same page as me. My Godmother. Sofia Herrera. She would be the perfect fit for the position!

"I know that look, what's your idea, Adelaine?" Mrs. Donaldson asks.

"My godmother Sofia Herrera would be the best person to be our new Arts Director!" I beam.

There was a sparkle in Hugh's eyes. "Yes! Adelaine is right! Miss Herrera would be great!"

More of my friends who were in the room agreed with me. Gabriella and Kelsey were especially enthusiastic. I guess Gabby was excited to work with her Mom. Mrs. Donaldson loved the idea, saying that she would give her the position, as long as she accepted it. I would have to ask her. A few days later, we were having dinner at our house, I decided to finally tell her. I hope that she will accept the invitation. We do need an Art Director for our new musical we're working on, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It would be nice to have some help. I would think she would accept the offer, after all, my godmother and I are very close, and she was there to take me under her wing as I grew up. I tap her on the shoulder as the table is being set.

"Yes, Adelaine?" My Godmother asks.

"I have something to ask you," I reply.

"Go ahead and ask!" She beams.

"Well, as you know our Arts Director quit, and we're looking for a new one..." I trail off.

"Oh, that's sad but I bet it would be an exciting position! Have you found anyone to replace her?" My Godmother wonders.

"We've been talking about people who could do that, but we did make a decision. Would you like to be the new art director?" I answer.

My Godmother's eyes widen like saucers. "Oh my goodness! That's a fantastic idea! I would love to accept the position!"

I smile. "I'll tell Mrs. Donaldson that you've accepted the position! All you have to do is come to our next meeting to meet the Art Team and get a tour of our department!"

Everyone smiles at the happy ending. I hug her and she hugs me back. I am so pleased that she accepted! We end the night with dinner, and some great Swiss food! Homemade Swiss food is the cherry on top to end the night! At the next theatre meeting, my godmother came on time and with her iconic style, a purple long-sleeve shirt, black pants, and black tie. Her hair isn't tied up like usual, but she kept it classy. She was given a tour of the department by Me, Hugh, and Mrs. Donaldson, and then she was introduced to the students of her department. Her art team was around 10-12 teenagers, with Wyatt being part of the art team. I'm sure that she, Wyatt, and the rest of the team will have an artistic vision for this musical and make it a record-breaking success. After the tour and after meeting the team, my Godmother got serious quickly and then started working.

After a few days of working with my godmother, Wyatt and the rest of the art department viewed her as a natural leader with strong compassion in her vision. The members look up to her as a mother. They were happy that they added her to the department. I'm sure that my godmother wants to keep the theatre thriving in any way she can. Gabriella even informed me that my Godfather is very happy that his wife is spending more time with their daughter and goddaughters. It's honestly really nice to hang out with her more and it's wonderful to see her getting along with my friends.
Because of my godmother's help in the Art Department, we were able to have the performance earlier than expected. Usually, we would have the fall performance after Thanksgiving but before Christmas, but now we are doing it before Thanksgiving! Oh, I am so excited about the performance! All of the actors in the opening scene, which includes me, are in their places. I am quiet to not cause any noise to be picked up by the mic. The curtains are pulled back and we are a split second away from starting to perform when the stage starts to shake. Everyone begins to panic. Somebody shouts "Earthquake!" and we all scramble to get somewhere safe. Well, this performance hasn't even started and it is already a disaster! I hurry to find Hugh and Mrs. Donaldson gathers us to make sure that we are together.