Family History

A oneshot for EmmaEva4564

Adelaine's POV

I am currently walking to my history class. I'm actually quite excited to get to class. We had just finished a unit last week on the French Revolution. Now, since it's Monday, we will start a new unit. I share history class with Kelsey, Hugh, Lexi, and all of the rest of our friend group is in this class. Hugh and I walk hand in hand down the hall. The dress that I'm wearing sways as I walk. I step into our classroom and Miss Macy Stockham was preparing the class for the day. She tells us to take our seats and I do, reluctantly letting go of Hugh's hand as I do so. Miss Stockham's grey hair was tied up into a bun and her wrinkles make her look much older than she really is. We were instructed that we were going to be reading from the history books she had. Miss Stockham said that the next unit we would be studying would be Concordia. I was excited to learn this because I already know a lot about Concordia. That's where my ancestor's lived! My friends were also excited to learn this fact. A few minutes later, the bell rang and each student was in their proper seat. Miss Stockham began to pass out the books we would be reading from. I beamed as I read what we would be reading about. Oh, we're going to be reading about Charles, "Charlie" to friends and close relatives, Dupont! How exciting!! We're going to be learning about my great-great-grandfather! He was such an innovative and awesome guy! I open the book and wait for the teacher's instructions to start reading. Miss Stockham says that she would choose students to read aloud. I raise my hand, my hand immediately shot up to volunteer to read. I was told to read the first two chapters, Hugh was to read chapters 3 and 4, and Kelsey was to read the 5th chapter.

I open my book and begin reading out loud. I get through the information about Concordia and the basic information about Charlie Dupont. Hugh reads more in-depth about Charlie's life and what he did to impact Concordia. Kelsey read about the man's death and what lived on after his death from his legacy. I immediately closed the book after reading it. I am absolutely furious. This entire book is a scam! Utter trash! And dare I say, please pardon my french, it's bullshit! The entire book's information regarding my ancestor, Charlie Dupont, was a lie! The book didn't paint him as the hero that he was! The book paints a picture of my great-great-grandfather as an arrogant and foolish man. It didn't bring up anything about his accomplishments! None of his inventions! He literally invented a machine that could milk a cow and many other things! I don't know how to bring this up with Miss Stockham though. Maybe the writers of this book were misinformed? Maybe they had awful sources? No matter the cause of this blasphemy, it's still rage-inducing to know that they were talking all of this trash about my ancestor. I tried to pay attention to the rest of her lecture, but all she would talk about was my ancestor and continued to spread incorrect information so I ended up zoning out. Right before the bell rang, Miss Stockham made an announcement. We would be writing an essay about Mister Charles Dupont. I feel a bit conflicted about this announcement. I can't write this essay about him using the information from this so-called history book, it's a fraud!

My friends also are frustrated with me about this misinformation. I'm suspicious as to why a teacher would give their students such a fraudulent book. Honestly, I feel extremely outraged right now. I complain about this to my friends and they understood. I thought that talking about it would help my anger, but it does not. My anger sits there and stews all day. I walk into the house and take my heels off. My father and Diana are sitting on the couch, watching some after-school cartoons. Our poodle is also sitting on the couch. Oh, yes, we adopted a new puppy recently! We adopted a chocolate-colored poodle female pup with brown eyes named Eliza. I flop down on the couch, groaning from frustration. I really don't know what to do about this essay! Kelsey sits down next to me and her backpack sits at her feet. She opens it and pulls out the history book that we read in class, Miss Stockham allowed us to take them home to write our essays. I glare at the book cover, meeting the drawing of my great-great-grandfather. They can't have done something so terrible to you! I feel eyes on me and turn my head. Dad is staring at me, concern in his eyes.