40. Highways and Monopoly

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

Make sure you vote!!!

Chapter 40

Cassandra gripped the steering wheel as she drove on the highway towards her grandparent's house. Michelle sat in the passenger seat, seatbelt tight over her chest. Her stomach rumbled with the anxiety of going to her deceased husband's parent's home.

"Keep your eyes on the road," Michelle reminded her daughter. The two girls sat in the car alone. "Keep up with everyone."

"But the speed limit is 60," Cassandra issued to her mother.

"Yes...but you have to keep up with everyone else and make sure you're looking around you at all times."

Cassandra stopped speaking. She was sure she could pass her upcoming drivers test from the lessons she received from the combined teaching of Sebastian, Michelle, and Walter, whose coaching was drastically different.

Michelle, who took a more cautious approach, reminded Cassandra of every little thing. While Walter was more laid back, more encouraging with her. Giving her constant reminders that she was doing okay. But, worst of all. The demon to her driving lessons was Sebastian. He had a habit of grabbing the wheel and shouting when teaching her.

A habit that caused many arguments and her walking home one day with him following her the entire way.

"You're pretty good," Michelle urged her. "I think by the time you're sixteen, you should be a pro."

"Thanks, mom. Is this the exit?" Cassandra pointed out.

Michelle contemplated lying, sending them on their way to another state. "Yes, be sure to watch when you switch lanes."

Cassandra did as instructed, flawlessly switching lanes. The rural streets sooner turned into residential ones. Slowly, memories started to flood her mind of the years of coming there. The time they had to go out for dinner because Michelle burned to turkey. The month she lived with them after her father died.

She'd only came to her grandparents' home twice a year. Once, for Christmas. The other being for a weekend of shopping and food-filled time with her grandparents per their request. The elderly couple held a hefty retirement pension, and they delighted in spending it on their one of two grandchildren.

Cassandra spent her time opening her many Christmas gifts and receiving kisses from her grandparents during Christmas. Cassandra didn't mind being with them. She enjoyed the attention, the constant checking upon, and the maddening amount of food at her beck and call.

She felt homey in the three-bedroom home she known about since she was a child. A place with a room that hadn't changed, one especially for her filled with small memories she left there every year. It was always clean, unlike when her dad lived in that specific room.

She and her dad were unalike in many ways; they often told her. Cassandra stopped in front of the home and put the car in park. "Are we spending the night?" Cassandra asked.

"If I have anything to do with it, we won't."

Michelle approached the door and knocked three times before the door opened. She swallowed her spit when she saw Robert, the first. He stood in the doorway. His eyes immediately brightened when he saw Cassandra walk towards the door with a bag in hand. He rushed towards her and hugged her.

She breathed in his scent, a scent that stuck with her entire life. One, he hadn't changed since she was born.

"Hey, grandpa," she smiled in his chest. He placed a kiss on her head and led her into the house.