42. News and Apologies

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

Make sure you vote!!!

Chapter 42

Sebastian stood in his bedroom. When Cassandra walked down the hallway with the other half of his heart—the girl who he loved broke up with him. He called her phone. She refused to answer and hear his haggard breathing. His series of questions she knew would come at her at rapid-fire.

She stared at her binder, filled with a series of math questions. She couldn't figure out X because her now ex-boyfriend was too much on her mind. Her phone rang, she watched his name appear on her screen for the thirtieth time in thirty minutes. He took a minute break, and a series of calls quickly followed. Cassandra picked up her phone and answered.

"Cas," he whispered over the phone.

She didn't expect such a solemn voice on the other line. Anger was the first thing she expected. Instead, she was met with a boy who was too distressed about the sudden confession he had no idea was coming. She refused to have her camera on. Tears would surely come out if she had to see him, and he had to see her.

"Cas, what's going on? Why do you want to break up?"

She took a seat on her bed. Her legs were pressed against her chest. "Because I can't take it anymore."

"Take what? What happened? I thought we were fine."

She ran a hand through her thick hair. "Fine? Sebastian, I've been anything but fine. I've been living through Hell, at school and home. I can't take everyone looking at me, staring at me for what I did to Phillip, Sebastian. You know what they're calling me."

"Cas," he started.

"A whore," she answered for him. "My own sister won't even talk to me. I want my life back before we started screwing around."

"Cas, you can have it back. Trust me. Everything is going to go back to normal. Sure, your friends are a bit pissed, but they'll get over it soon. There's no need for us to break up. Cas."

"See, Sebastian. You keep saying that, but it's obviously not the case. If that were the case, then it would have ended a long time ago. The bullying, the snide remarks, the stares and snickers in the hallway and everywhere I go. It hasn't ended. Plus, you don't even listen to me anymore. It's like everything I say is brushed off. For Godsakes Sebastian, I started smoking pot to escape the bullshit."

"How is that my fault," he retorted. "How is any of that my fault. I warned you about the pot! I tried my best to make you feel better. For fucks sake, I let you eat dinner with my family, and you know how much that makes me sick. And the Phillip thing. I told you to end it, and you didn't! You insisted on staying with him! You insisted on it! If it were up to me, all this bullshit would have been avoided. But you were so damn stubborn, and you wouldn't listen to me."

"So what? You're saying it's all my fault?" She scoffed.

"It is." Sebastian had no idea if it was the pain from Cassandra breaking up with him or if it was simply the truth he'd been holding in. "Everything wrong going on is your fault, Cassandra."

Cassandra's body shook with anger when she heard him say a truth that she knew herself but refused to admit.

"No, everything is wrong in my life because you wanted to have sex with me, and I said no. You stupid asshole." Cassandra clicked the red button before he could say another word. "Asshole, fucking dickhead bastard!"

Sebastian threw his phone against the wall after Cassandra hung up. He ran a hand through his hair and paced the room. He regretted what he said to her and what she said to him lingered in his head. He broke up with Cassandra for sex, and that was going to linger over his head for the rest of his life.