38. Cake and Morning After Pills

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

Make sure you vote!!!

Chapter 38

Cassandra and Michelle sat in the four-seater car. The heat was blooming through the vents with soft music playing in the background. Cassandra wore a solid color sweater and jeans while Michelle decided on a sweater dress. Cassandra gave her mother a quick rundown on the Livingston family.

From Ivy's work to Oliva's soccer life. There was enough there for the women to have an hour conversation, eat, and leave. Michelle didn't know why she agreed to the dinner. Something about the mothers of two teenagers meeting seemed right to her—a necessity to discuss curfews, condoms, and restrictions. 

"I can't believe Walter couldn't come, and Aurora," she exclaimed. "She flat out refused. She said she had band practice. I didn't even know she was in the band. Did you know she was in the band?"

Cassandra shook her head. She didn't know what Aurora had been up to. All she knew of the dual-colored hair girl was that she sat with her friends and hated her guts. A hatred that over the last few months had not dissipated no matter how many times Cassandra initiated a conversation. Aurora only responded to her sister with two phrases. No, and how the hell should I know. 

Cassandra was exiled in school and her own home. A fact that adds to the reasons she comes home late with Sebastian. The only person who made her feel a little less lonely in the world. 

Michelle looked over at her daughter. She played with the ends of the sweater, folding them looking at the houses as they passed. They got bigger and bigger as they went down the street, something Michelle took note of. 

"What happened between you two?"

Cassandra crossed one leg over the other.  "Phillip was her friend, and she didn't like us breaking up very much," she half lied. 

It was the truth. Aurora didn't like the fact they broke up. Even less because of the fact they broke up because she cheated. She'd half thanked her stepsister for keeping it a secret from her mother. It seemed to Cassandra. There were still some boundaries her step-sister refused to cross. 

"Well, I hope you two get over this hump. It was nice seeing you two get along. I thought you two would hate each other because you both are the only child and all. But you guys made a good pair. You know, I enjoyed watching you two stay up late giggling in your room. "

"Yeah," she trailed on. 

Now, Aurora spent her time in her room—away from Cassandra. Rather than hang out in her step-sister's room, she had rather play her series of instruments or watch television isolated from Cassandra. The two girls were now like strangers in their own home—never to meet again. 

The car stopped in front of the Livingston household. 

"Is this it?" Michelle asked as she looked out of Cassandra's window up at the house. Cassandra was no longer impressed by the home. She was used to the family house. The two-floor, white picket fence home with a pool. Freshly mowed green grass with flowers on the front lawn. A project Michelle wanted for her own home, which had been on the back burner for months.

"Does she hire someone to keep everything so nice looking? Like a maid or something?" 

"Yes, about the maid thing, she comes in once a week. While Mrs. Livingston does all the gardening herself."

"How does she find the time? I mean with two kids and that higher up job she has?"

"She does it on the weekends. She said it's her happy time."