chapter 1

Part One

When I open my eyes the first thing I see are a pair of icy blue eyes hiding behind round frames and a lightning shaped scar gazing back at me. A look of surprise fills that gaze as they back up slightly lifting an arm to shield a red-haired girl behind them. In the near distance, I can hear a chorus of whispers erupt around me, followed by some shushes in the crowd. A stabbing pain shoots through my head making me sit up instantly. As my eyes adjust, I notice that I seem to be inside some vehicle. My guess: a train. I suddenly grab the wall behind me for support. The boy with the lightning scar hesitantly reaches out a hand, offering me assistance. Slowly, I take it then sit on the train seat.

My brain feels like scrambled eggs as I try to remember. Remember...but what am I remembering?

"Hello," the boy speaks politely with cautious hands. I finally glance up seeing the group of kids lined up behind him. Dark red spots cloud my vision as I desperately blink them away. "Um, may I ask how you got onto this train, Miss?" he asks. With surprise I take notice of his accent. That...was definitely not the same as mine.

Voices in the back erupt again as I manage to hear someone mumble, "What if she's a muggle?" followed by a few gasps. Muggle? What's a muggle?

"Shut-up. There is no way she's a muggle. Think before you speak, Goyle."

Fear begins to bubble in my chest. My heart begins to pound in fear as I back away. The kids watching me began to make me feel nervous second by second. Suddenly, I feel as if I am suffocating. With panic I squeeze my eyes shut and bury my head in my knees.

"Shit, Harry. She's shaking, she needs some space. Everyone! Back to your own compartments! Neville, you're in charge until this train starts moving again."

"Alright, you all heard Hermione-"

"You're putting bloody Longbottom in charge?" a male voice scoffs.

"Shut it, Draco," another voice booms. With my eyes shut I begin to hear the shuffle of footsteps and then finally silence. My shaking slowly decreases and when I glance up there are three kids sitting on the seats next to me. The boy with the lightning scar, a girl with wavy hair, and a tall redhead with many freckles. The girl smiles at me immediately.

"Hello, my name's Hermione. This is Harry and Ron." She gestures to the boy with glasses then the red haired boy. They both smile and nod. A sudden gust of wind blows rattling the train slightly. "What's your name?" Hermione asks. I pause and wet my lips feeling as if I am speaking for the very first time. When I do, it comes out raspy. I clear my throat and try again.

"I...I don't know." I mumble with terror. The three kids exchange looks.

"You don't know?" Ron asks incredulously.

Shall I repeat myself?

"Okay, well can you tell us what's the last thing you remember?" says Harry. I slowly shake my head with confusion.

"I...I don't know. I can't remember anything, why can't I remember anything?" I mumble as tears begin to form in my eyes. They pause while exchanging looks with each other.

"You don't seem like you're from around here." Hermione says as I slowly shift myself into a comfortable position. I nod in agreement but then...where was I exactly?

"I'm sorry I...I don't know anything I can't....remember anything at all. Where am I? Who am I? And how did I end up here?"

"Our guess is that you Apparated here, on the train to Hogwarts...School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We've never seen you before. And you certainly did not board the train with any of us. We found you in this compartment sleeping on the floor when we came back. The train was already moving." Hermione said.