CLII

Jeez, why was he so nervous? It wasn't like he hadn't played in front of people before, was it? But deep down he knew why, of course, because this wasn't just playing after all; no, what he was playing today was being recorded and sent to people who knew a lot and would hear every little mistake, every line that wasn't legato enough, every double stop that wasn't quite in tune. 
He shook his head as he walked by Brett's side to the bus stop. God, he was all jittery. He had wanted to stop for coffee, but that was rapidly starting to feel like a monumentally bad idea. 

"Hey, you freaking out?"
Brett's voice was soft and so understanding that he had to swallow suddenly. Then he breathed sharply in through his nose and tried to steel himself. 
"Don't worry, I just need to get a grip. I'm fine."
Brett nodded thoughtfully. "You don't look fine."
Eddy swallowed again. 
"You know me too well. Erm... so... I'm guessing it would attract too much attention if I hugged you tight right now?"
Brett let out a small snort. "It might, yeah."
The bus stop came into view now, and to Eddy's great relief the bus was approaching just as they did. At the very least he wouldn't have to stand in the stop and nervously wait to see if a bus would ever turn up. He jumped on board the second the doors opened and walked right to an empty bench at the back of the bus. He sat down eagerly and watched as Brett plopped down next to him. Their violin cases were in their laps, of course, so no one would see their hands, that intertwined now under Brett's case. No one would see how Brett's thumb started stroking the soft bit of skin between Eddy's thumb and index finger. 
Eddy leaned back and closed his eyes, humming slightly in contentment. 
"This helps." he whispered. 
"I'm glad." Brett said as he squeezed his hand softly. 
Suddenly the trip couldn't be long enough, but then Brett squeezed his hand again, a bit more firmly this time, and Eddy knew they were there. 

Lily was waiting for them in front of the studio, brandishing a key.
"Hey, sweetie." he said, and kissed her on both cheeks. "Have I told you yet how awesome you are for arranging this?"
Lily laughed her pealing laugh. "Yeah, once or twice."
She walked in and the two boys followed her down dank empty corridors with coat hooks on each side. Eddy had been to the studio a couple of times before to see Lily perform, but it was strange to be there now, when the lights were off and it was completely empty; no little girls in pink tutus giggling in a corner, no teenagers trying on pointe shoes by the big mirror over there. 
"We have a couple of hours before lessons start again." Lily said, seeemingly reading his mind. "Is Steven almost here?"
Brett nodded. "He should be here any minute now."
Lily opened the door to a smallish studio with a baby grand piano in the corner, under huge windows that let in lots of natural light. The floor was black and soft, of course, like all the floors in the ballet school were. They all kicked off their shoes automatically and followed Lily in on their socks. 
Eddy walked to the piano and played a few bars of Chopin, fantaisie impromptu. The piano was nice, light and bright, but maybe a little big for the space. They  would definitely need to keep the lid down, he figured. But the acoustics were good.
"I like it!" he said as he looked around him again. "It sounds good in here!"
Lily's face lit up as he spoke. 
Just then the door opened again and Steven walked in.
"So, anyone called for a pianist here?" he said in his gruff baritone, dumping his bag on the floor by the door. 
"Wow, you must be psychic, we were just looking for one." Eddy quipped. 

He was feeling a bit better already, now that he was here and everyone else important was too.