XXXII

He saw the big A4 envelope lying on the fifth step the second he walked in the door. 
Oh my God. Was this the letter? He almost tripped over his feet as he rushed to pick it up. 
It was! It was the letter! He recognised the offical 'Australian Youth Orchestra' logo straight away. 
He had to work seriously hard not to rip it open then and there, but he'd made a promise to Brett. They had agreed, over bubble tea after the audition, that they would open their letters together. It was thick though, it felt like there was sheet music in it. This must be good news! 
¨Are you going to open it?¨ his mum asked suddenly from the kitchen doorway. 
He looked up at her. 
¨Er, I was going to open it at the same time as Brett, is that okay?¨
His mum furrowed her brows slightly, but then seemed to hold her tongue. 
¨Okay. He'll be here later?¨ she said then. 
¨Yes. Thank you mum!¨ he said, and then he ran up the stairs to fire up the computer. 

He tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the internet connection to start up, but as soon as it did the message came in. 

     'Did you get yours too?'

Yes! He sagged with relief. Brett got his letter as well. Oh Thank God, he wouldn't have to wait long to open it. He typed quickly.

     'Yes! You're coming over, right?'

The reply came almost instantly and he could basically feel Brett's excitement radiating from his computer screen. 

    'Yep! Will be there soon. Can't focus on homework now anyway, will have to do that later.'

Eddy smiled to himself. He wasn't much different! 
So he'd only just put all of his stuff away when the bell rang. He ran downstairs at full pelt and opened the door. 
¨Hi!¨ Brett said, breathlessly holding the exact same envelope Eddy had in his hands. 
¨Hi! Come on!¨ he replied, and turned to run up the stairs again. 

¨Wait!¨ His mum, who had appeared from the kitchen again, spoke in a clear tone. ¨Please open them in the living room.¨
He shot a quick look at Brett, who shrugged almost imperceptibly. 
¨Hello mrs Chen!¨ he said pleasantly, walking off in the direction of the living room. 
A moment later they were stood grinning at each other, Eddy's mum hovering nearby. 
¨Ready?¨ Brett said.
¨As I'll ever be!¨ Eddy replied, and together they opened the envelopes. 

There was a cover letter and a whole stack of sheet music. Eddy's eyes scanned his letter quickly.

'We are pleased to let you know that you'll be playing in the AYO Young Symphonists orchestra, in the position of first violin.'

Oh my God!! He was in, and he was first! He couldn't help himself, he squealed in excitement. 
He looked up at Brett then, who was looking so happy he could only assume he'd got the same letter. 
¨You first as well?¨ he said, trying to contain himself. 
¨I am!¨ Brett said, and before he knew it there was no more containing, they were shouting and jumping up and down as if they were four, instead of fourteen and fifteen. 
¨Mate!! We're in!¨ he whooped, and when he looked up at his mum she was smiling widely.
Of course she was. She could now boast to her friends that her son had got in the top youth orchestra as first violin. 
He did see her genuine smile though, and he knew that she was actually pleased for him. 
¨I'm first, mum!¨ he called, enthusiasm dripping from his voice. 
¨Congratulations, Eddy, Brett.¨ she said, and then she turned around and disappeared into the kitchen. 
The boys looked at each other with wide eyes.
¨We're in!¨ Brett said now too, and suddenly he grabbed Eddy into a bro hug. 
Eddy closed his eyes for a second. They didn't usually let themselves do this. 
It was really nice.
After a second they pulled away though, and they both cleared their throats, looking away. 
Eddy took a deep breath. 
¨We're in! We should go practice!¨
Brett nodded enthusiastically and turned around. He knew Eddy's house pretty much as well as Eddy did by now, so he didn't have to ask as he walked back to the hallway, picked up his violin and walked up the stairs. 
¨Come on, slow coach!¨ he called. ¨We got work to do!¨