LVI

When the alarm clock woke them up Eddy was feeling tired, but he was a lot better than he had been yesterday. 
He turned over on his left side and smiled at Brett, who was just waking up. Brett made the cutest little mewling sound and stretched his arms high above his head as he yawned. 
Man. How was it even possible for anyone to be as adorable as that?
Eddy got up suddenly and sat on Brett's bed. 
¨Good morning, Bretty.¨ he whispered. ¨I wanted to do this yesterday, but I seem to have passed out.¨
He bent forward and softly touched his lips to Brett's. 
Brett grunted softly as he kissed him back.
¨I've got morning breath.¨
Eddy chuckled.
¨Yeah, as if I care about that. You smell great to me.¨
It was quiet for a long moment after that, the only sound coming from their lips together. 
They lost all track of time as they kissed, not stopping until the alarm clock, enthusiastically blaring out its snooze clamour, made them both jump.
¨Shit! We've gotta get up!¨ Eddy grinned broadly at Brett before jumping up and rushing to his suitcase to get dressed. 

By the time they were ready to walk to the cafeteria Eddy gave Brett a good look. He looked slightly flushed still, but he was sure no one would know. 
No one would know, would they?

The day flew by, and Eddy wished it would stop flying. He wanted to hold on to the seconds, to the minutes, to the hours. He wanted to stop time completely and stay here, suspended in time in this wonderful orchestra on this beautiful stage, with this wonderful, beautiful boy next to him. But the minutes slipped through his hands like grains of sand in an hourglass and before he knew it the presentation was over and the applause rang out. 
And then it was dinner, and it would be the last time they would be sat at this table as this group. 
¨Guys, I'm really going to miss you.¨ Lizzy said, her voice serious. ¨Please tell me we'll stay in touch.¨
¨We will! Absolutely!¨ Eddy responded with gusto. ¨And who knows, maybe next year we'll all be in AYO again?¨
Everyone nodded and Eddy smiled. Who knew, maybe that would happen? 
But he knew it could never be as perfect as this had been. 

Before he knew it all the grains of sand had slipped into the bottom half of the hourglass and the teachers came to send them all to bed. 
¨At least we'll still have the trip home tomorrow, hey?¨ he said as he gave Lizzy a hug. 
¨Yeah! Should be fun.¨ she replied somewhat somberly.  
Todd didn't say anything, but he gave them both a rap on their shoulders as he walked off to his dorm for the last time this music camp.
Brett and Eddy walked to their own room in silence. Eddy felt sad, but at the same time he felt excited, because he knew full well that they wouldn't be sleeping quite yet...
And indeed, Brett had barely closed the door behind them before he crashed his lips to Eddy's, and when he let go Eddy was slightly breathless.
¨I've been wanting to do that all day.¨ Brett whispered, keeping his arms around Eddy's waist. 
¨Well, nothing's stopping you now.¨ Eddy grinned, before bending forward to kiss him again. 

They sat on Brett's bed, just like they had a couple of nights ago, talking about anything and everything. Their lives, music, the world in general; Eddy was amazed at how similarly they thought about everything. And then, when they were done talking, they kissed with great tenderness. Eddy wanted to feel every touch, hear every word. He wanted to save all of this in his mind forever, to get him through the coming years. 
It was only natural that they lay down after a while. Eddy put his head on Brett's shoulder and wrapped his arm around Brett's chest. Brett kissed the top of his head.
¨This has been the best, Eddy. The very best.¨
¨Yeah, it has been, Bretty. The absolute best.¨
He was drifting now, but he didn't want to get up. He wanted to hold on to the moment, so he stayed. 
Brett pulled the sheets over them both, and they drifted off to sleep in each other's arms.