LXX

Soon enough Eddy's belly was a lot happier and so was the rest of him. Time was flying by as he sat there, surrounded by friends old and new, eating and chatting, the smile that had spread on his face staying there effortlessly.
 Ian had seemed a bit shy at first and it took him a while to start being part of the banter, but once he did start talking he turned out to be a nice guy with a good sense of humour.

Man. There really wasn't very much wrong with Eddy's world right about now.

It must have been approaching midnight when Brett touched Eddy lightly on the shoulder.
¨I'm beat. You okay with turning in, bro?¨
¨Yeah man, sure thing.¨ Eddy replied lightly, forcing the butterflies down with his breath.
¨You gonna stay here still, guys?¨ he asked the other two, but the boys shook their heads and got up as well.
¨Nah, we should try to be awake tomorrow and actually play some notes right.¨ Todd said, his customary ironic tone not hindered by the late hour. 
Brett grinned. ¨Yeah, here's hoping.¨

They got into the lift with several other hotel guests, so they had to move right to the back of the small space. He didn't even mean to, but Eddy wound up standing next to Brett as everyone squashed together. The butterflies in his stomach fluttered their restless counterpoint and he leaned into Brett slightly, very aware that the backs of their hands were touching. He was so close to him that he could hear Brett's deep breaths, and he closed his eyes for a second, drinking in the moment. Slowly and deliberately he moved his hand softly against Brett's, his index finger finding Brett's and rubbing it softly. Brett stayed completely still, his deadpan gaze on his face, but Eddy was close enough to hear his breath hitch.  

The lift pinged then and the doors glided open silently to let them out. 
¨Well, you have a good night, guys!¨ Todd said with another one of his winks, turning right to get to his and Ian's room.
¨Good night.¨ Eddy replied, ignoring his jibe completely, and followed Brett to their own room.

He couldn't ignore the butterflies now as he waited for Brett to find the key card; they were flying raucously through his abdomen, fluttering their wings wildly. Brett and he were going into their room, together, and they were spending the first night so close to one another, but Eddy hadn't made up his mind about where he wanted this week to take them by a long stretch, and he was pretty sure Brett hadn't either.
He would have asked him, he would have talked about it like they always talked about everyting... but for once he just didn't know how.
He was lost in thought as he walked into the room after Brett and closed the door behind him. 
Somehow... somehow he felt that if they got back together now, for want of a better phrase because had they not sort of been together for three years? But if they did go back to the way they had been at AYO, if he kissed him now... he knew it would mean even more than it did back then. And he had no idea at all whether it would even be possible to go back to the 'normal' they had forged after AYO if it did. And then what?
So maybe it was safer to just leave it?

But that hug that Brett had given him earlier, that had been the best, that had so been the best. 
He couldn't forego that hug. Nah. No effing way.
He got ready for bed in the bathroom quickly, making sure to put his pajama pants on, leaving the door open for Brett to go in next. And then he waited. He sighed deeply again, just to try and calm himself down, and when Brett walked out in his own pajamas he opened his arms in an invitation.
Brett smiled at him in that slightly strange way he had suddenly developed and he seemed to pause for just a second, but then he walked into Eddy's waiting arms, putting his own arms around Eddy's torso and his head on his shoulder, and he sighed contentedly. 
Eddy leaned his head on Brett's, his nose in Brett's soft hair, the happiness spreading through him as he held his love tight, so tight. 
Being so close to Brett was simply the best. 
¨I love you, Bretty.¨ he whispered, the words bubbling up from inside of him without prompt.
Brett released him and he looked at him with his deep, deep eyes.
¨I love you too, my lovely Eddy. More than you'll ever know.¨

They got into bed silently then, each lost in their own thoughts, but Eddy was tired, so he drifted off to sleep quickly.