XLIII

Eddy felt like he was on a cloud, the rest of the day. He still couldn't quite believe he'd had the guts to say what he'd said to Brett, and even though he wasn't at all sure what this was going to mean for their friendship, he just didn't seem to be able to bring himself to care right now. Because right now they were living in this awesome musical bubble, far away from their normal lives, and he just wanted to feel it all, enjoy it all. He wouldn't stop what was happening with Brett now. He couldn't, and also he wouldn't. 
They'd be able to go back to the way they used to be once they went home, no? They'd just have to. But meanwhile, the butterflies were back in full force and he couldn't help but steal glances at Brett while they played. He was quite simply the loveliest, most perfect guy in the world. The way he was sat there, his glasses slipping down his nose as he focused on the new music they were sightreading, his head bent slightly forward to see better, his hair flopping from left to right with the rhythm of his bow; he just wanted to run his hands through that hair so, so bad.
He shook his head to grab his focus back. It wouldn't do to start making mistakes again. No need for the conductor to start shooting him questioning looks like he had this morning, thank you very much. 

At the end of the rehearsal they were starting to pack up when the conductor approached him.
¨Hello, is it Eddy?¨ he said in a pleasant tone. 
At once Eddy felt like he was rooted to his spot and he could feel his cheeks colouring. Fuck. No! Was the conductor about to call him out for how he had played earlier?
¨Erm, hi mr. Davids.¨ he croaked, hoping that his open-book face wasn't giving away the panic he felt. 
The conductor smiled pleasantly. ¨Are you feeling better now? You weren't feeling well this morning, I gather?¨
¨Erm, yes, thank you sir, I had a headache, but I took some tablets and they helped.¨ he said quickly. 
¨Good, good.¨ mr. Davids said. ¨I could tell there was something off. You and Brett are very promising young violinists. Do you want to go into music?¨
His eyes widened. What? Did he really just say that?
Whoa. He was a promising violinist?! He knew his face was breaking out in a stupid smile but he just couldn't help himself. 
¨Thank you so much, sir.¨ he said, his tone breathy. ¨I would love to. I don't know if I'll be able to.¨
That's all he could really say, because it wouldn't do for him to tell him his mind was made up and for word of that to come back to his mother. But judging from mr Davids' smile he got the feeling he understood anyway.
¨Good. I hope you do. Have a nice evening!¨ the conductor said and walked off, leaving a breathless Eddy behind him. 
¨Hey! What did he say?¨ Brett said as he came up to him. 
¨I'll tell you in a minute, when we're outside.¨
He hurried to pack up his stuff and walked out of the auditorium, Brett on his heel. 
As soon as they were out of earshot of the others he turned around. 
¨Right. You wanna know what he said? First of all he asked if I was better, I guess Lizzy told him what you told her or something. And then...¨ he paused for dramatic effect, ¨he said he thought we were both promising young violinists and asked if I wanted to go into music.¨
Brett's jaw dropped and Eddy grinned widely at him. 
¨Can you believe that? He heard us, he saw that, he said that!¨ 
He was so excited he had to stop himself from jumping up and down like a four-year-old. 
¨That's... that's so awesome!¨ Brett whispered, his own face the very picture of joy. 
¨I know, right?¨ 
Suddenly Todd interrupted their moment by calling from further down the hall.
¨Hey, guys, you comin'?¨
¨Yep!¨ Eddy called back. ¨On our way!¨
They shot one more broad grin at each other and then they followed Todd and Lizzy to the cafeteria.