XLIX

Brett's breath hitched in his throat as he stared at Eddy with wide eyes, his face full of surprise. Eddy anxiously waited for what he would decide. What if Brett would say no? He could see Brett's posture changing subtely as he squared his shoulders and cleared his throat softly. Then he took Eddy's hand in both of his and squeezed it lightly. 
¨Are you sure about this?¨ he said, his voice suddenly hoarse.
Eddy nodded. ¨Very, very sure. How about you?¨
¨I've wanted this ever since the day I met you, you know that.¨ Brett said simply, his tone so very earnest it took Eddy's breath away. 
The atmosphere between them was suddenly different now, like there was electricity flowing between them. All of Eddy's synapses seemed to be on fire as he stared into Brett's eyes, swimming in them, drinking them in. 
Slowly he moved his head closer, savouring the moment. He knew the step he was taking, and he wanted to live every second, every ounce of it. 
Brett closed his eyes as they moved closer still. 
The last of the wall Eddy had built around him over the months crumbled as he finally, finally touched his lips to Brett's.
Oh my God. Brett's lips were soft and warm and the feeling of it almost overwhelmed him. It was slow and soft, at first, Brett's warmth flowing into him as they kissed again and again, but soon his lips were more insistent. He wanted to be close to Brett, as close as he could get. 
Hesitantly he opened his lips a little bit, and Brett did the same, their mouths molding together as if it was meant to be, which... in a way, he supposed it was. 
Never had anything felt as good, as right, as perfect as this. He didn't have to think about it, he just did what felt right, and nothing else mattered anymore.
He didn't know how long they'd been kissing for, but when they finally pulled away Brett's cheeks were flushed and his eyes were shining. 
Brett rested his forehead against Eddy's as they caught their breath, and Eddy wrapped his arms around him, pulling him close. 
¨Oh my God, Brett...¨ he whispered in Brett's ear and he felt him nod.
¨I know.¨ 
Brett pulled away, leaving his hands on Eddy's shoulders.
¨You know what? This should have been our first kiss.¨
Eddy smiled. ¨Yeah, well, it may not have been the first, but at least it's not gonna be the last, is it.¨
Brett shook his head. ¨God, I hope not.¨
¨It won't be.¨Eddy replied with conviction, touching his forehead against Brett's again. 
They sat there for a long time, just holding each other, completely at peace. But it got late, and Eddy felt Brett's small yawn.
¨We should get to sleep.¨
Brett nodded. ¨Yeah. It feels weird, though.¨
It was true, it did feel weird. Even though this life-shifting thing had just happened, they were still roommates, and they still had to get to sleep, the other one just over there in the other bed.
¨It does. But we should still try.¨
¨Yeah.¨

They got ready for bed on the double and soon they were both under their sheets. To be honest, Eddy would have liked much more to still be close to Brett, but he knew that that was a line they shouldn't cross. Definitely not cross. Not yet. 
He couldn't help but think about it though.
Whoa Nelly, what an evening this had been. He felt like the corners of his mouth might hit his ears, he was smiling so much. 
Brett, so close to him. His sweet mouth on his own, their lips molding together like that. He replayed the scene in his head again and again until he felt dizzy with happiness. 
Oh man. They were going to have to get as much kissing in as possible before they'd have to go back to normal. In fact: he was not even going to think about normal yet. Carpe diem and all  that shit. 
He heard Brett moving in his bed then and he knew that he wasn't sleeping either. 
Should he say something to him? He really wanted to make sure that Brett was alright. 
¨Hey, you okay?¨
¨Am I okay?¨ Brett's soft voice came instantly. ¨Eddy, I've never ever been better in my life.¨
Eddy smiled in the dark. Good. 
¨Me either, Bretty, me either.¨