VIII

A few hours later Eddy was walking home, his head still stuffed full of everything that had happened today, when his phone buzzed. 
He fished it out of his pocket, and when he saw that the message was from Brett he couldn't help it: his whole being lit up. 

     'Hey Eddy, how was your day? Wanna chat on MSN later?'

His heart made a little jump. Brett was checking up on him, asking him how he was! 
He smiled as he typed out his quick reply. 

     'Was okay. Will tell you later! Yes to MSN!'

An hour later he had successfully dodged his mum and had finished the first round of homework. He'd fired up the computer and was sat at his desk, impatiently waiting for Brett to come online. 
He stared at the red man in front of Brett's name, willing it to turn green, tapping his foot impatiently. 
Just as he scolded himself for being so needy, and decided to go and practice instead, the red man turned green and immediately a message popped up on his screen. 

    'Hey bro! So, tell me then! What happened today? You okay?'

He smiled. Brett was so caring!

     'Well... Andrew came and hassled me again, but I did what you said and told him to fuck off... and he did!!'

It was quiet for a moment and he thought of Brett, sitting in his own room, reading his message. Would he think he was being silly? Or would he be happy for him? 
Come to think of it, he hadn't even been to his room yet. He'd love to see Brett's room. 
The screen blinked and Brett's reply came. 

     'Wow! Dude! That's awesome, I'm so happy!'

Eddy smiled broadly and typed.

    'Thanks, bro. You really helped me. So, how was your day?'

It didn't take long for Brett's reply to come. 

     'Fine. Are you looking forward to tomorrow?'

Fine? What was that supposed to mean? Eddy got the distinct impression Brett wasn't telling him everything. Come to think of it, they'd really only talked about Eddy's problems yesterday. 
Fuck. Some friend he was being, only thinking about himself! He resolved to ask Brett a lot more questions tomorrow, on their way to the shopping centre to busk. 
To busk.
He realised that whenever he thought about that his stomach did a little flip, and he sighed deeply. 
It didn't mean anything. He was just excited about making music with someone else who was just as good as he was. That's all that was. Simple. No silly, unwelcome dreams had anything to do with that at all. 

    'Yeah! I am! Should be good. You?'

    'Really looking forward to it!'

They chatted for a while longer about not very much at all, but then it was dinner time, the violin had not been touched yet and there was more homework to do. His violin teacher would have his head if the lesson next week didn't go better than the last. 

    'I gotta go dude. I have to practice and do my homework, or I won't be allowed out tomorrow!'

    'Yeah, me too. What time are we going? How about twelve? See if we can catch the crowds? I can come to you first, maybe play through the duets one more time?'

Eddy smiled at the thought. Maybe they could even practice downstairs and have his mum listen to them. His mum would be sure to be a lot happier with him spending time with Brett when she heard how good they sounded together. 

    'Okay! Sure! Good night!'

He signed off with a big smile on his face. 
It was almost saturday, and then he would see Brett again.