CXXXVIII

It took a while, but in the end Ian's shoulders calmed down, the sobs dimenuendoing enough for him to raise his head hesitatingly and look at Eddy with eyes that were even redder now, his cheeks still wet with his tears. Eddy waited calmly, because if there was one thing he understood about this whole situation it was that he had to give Ian his time. 
Then Ian nodded once, making up his mind. 
"Please, don't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, Eddy."
"Of course I won't!" 
He couldn't stop his voice being slightly indignant. As if he would ever tell on a friend, seriously.  
"Okay. So..." 
Ian swallowed, and Eddy could tell the tears weren't very far down yet. He put his hand on Ian's calf reassuringly and waited. Ian took the deepest breath and then he finally started talking for real. 
"Okay. So, I guess you've seen that I've not really been completely okay."
Eddy nodded. "Yeah."
"And you... well, you've kind of just been there for me. I know I haven't said much, but it's still meant plenty. I've been bullied, you know. Have been for years. There's this group of guys in my school that think it's fun to pick on me, to hide my books, to call me names, to exclude me from everything, to make me a pariah."
Ian looked down at his legs, and Eddy let out a breath he didn't realise he'd been holding. 
Shit! He could feel the anger rising up in him now. Why the fuck would anyone bully Ian? He was like, the loveliest guy. He wanted to shout that, but instead he held his tongue and let Ian talk. 
"So, today...." Ian stopped and looked away, and just like that Eddy knew this was going to be bad. 
"What happened?" he asked softly. Ian took in the deepest breath before he carried on.
"Well, today I guess the point came when I couldn't take it anymore. So I hit the leader of their stupid group, Evan. And then..." he gestured morosely at his torso, "this happened."
Now Eddy could take no more. 
"Jesus, Ian, that's.... that's terrible! You should call the police!" 
He had to bite back his own tears now, at the thought of his friend, being beaten by a group of guys, and for what? But Ian shook his head somberly.
"And say what? I can't. I started it. I lost it."
"Fuck."

They sat in silence for the longest time, Ian resting his head on his knees, Eddy next to him, keeping vigil. 
"What did your parents say?" he asked him then. 
Ian looked up, the strangest look in his eyes. 
"They don't say very much of anything, Eddy. They're.... well, they're busy, I guess. Careers. Trips."
Oh my God. So busy that they didn't have time to see that their son was in pain? Suddenly Eddy was incredibly grateful for the sometimes stifling, always firm love his mum showed him. She may be strict, sure. She may want something different for him than he did, sure. But she was there. Always.
"I'm so sorry, Ian."
Ian nodded. "Thanks. I'll be okay."
Eddy nodded too, but he really wasn't so sure that Ian actually would be okay. Worry for his friend gripped his heart hard. But what could he do?
"Can I do anything to help you, mate?"
Ian smiled raggedly. "You're doing it already. You're listening, you're caring. That's more than I've had for a long time. Plus, I'm going to graduate in a few months. I'm auditioning for the con, I guess the same time Brett will. I'm going to live on campus. Things are going to be looking up for me very soon."
Eddy nodded slowly. "I hope so, Ian. But please, at least talk to me, okay? Any time."
Ian got up very suddenly, startling Eddy a bit. 
"Thanks, Eddy. I'll try. Come on, we should get back before you get in trouble."
Eddy got up too, pensive. Would he... his mum wouldn't mind, surely?
"Is anyone waiting for you? You want to have some Chinese food in our house?"
Ian hesitated for just a moment, but then he smiled slightly. 
"Sure. Sounds good. Thanks."