XIII

Eddy really enjoyed cooking with his mum. It had been ages since he'd done something like that with her, and he resolved to try and do it a bit more often. She was clearly very happy to do something with him as well.
Okay, his mum was always really pushy and strict, but she had come and comforted him like that. She did always have his back. Maybe you should be a bit nicer to her, he mused as he diced the chicken. 

He was quiet at dinner, letting his sister do all the chattering as usual. His mind was with Brett. 
How was Brett doing now? Would he be sad, too? Should he contact him? How would they handle being friends? 
It suddenly hit him now, as he sat there chewing his kung pao chicken. Brett clearly had feelings for him too. And despite the heart ache of knowing that what they'd done wasn't okay, that it wasn't allowed, it still made his heart sing that Brett liked him back. At least he had that. Brett liked him too. 
And they'd just have to find a way forward together. 
Maybe he'd ask Lily to the dance next week. 

They'd only just finished dinner and Eddy was taking the plates to the kitchen when the doorbell rang. 
¨I'll get it!¨ he called and made his way over to the door. 
When he opened it his heart stopped. Brett was stood in front of him, and he looked rough. He looked as rough as he was sure he was looking himself. 
¨Oh my God, bro. Are you okay?¨ he said, stopping himself from pulling Brett into his arms. 
Brett's lip quivered, but he held it together. He shook his head 'no' though. 
¨Mum! I'm just going for a walk with Brett, okay? Get some bubble tea? I'll be back before dark.¨ he called into the house. 
His mum appeared in the kitchen doorway, and he moved a little so she wouldn't see Brett's face. 
¨Okay¨ she said. ¨Not too long!¨
He nodded. ¨Thanks mum.¨
He slipped on his shoes quickly and grabbed a jacket before closing the door behind him. The spring evenings could still get chilly. 
They walked in silence for a bit, before Eddy sighed deeply and spoke. 
¨So. I would ask how you're doing but I think we both know we're not okay.¨
Brett nodded. ¨no. I'm not.¨
Suddenly he stopped, and grabbed Eddy's arm. 
¨Eddy, I'm so sorry I initiated that this afternoon. I don't know what came over me. I know I shouldn't have.¨
Eddy was quiet for a moment, breathing in the evening air as if it would tell him what to say. 
¨Brett¨, he said, and he was surprised at how serious his voice sounded, ¨you know I felt it too. To be honest, it's easier, knowing you feel the same.¨
Brett nodded again. 
¨I just needed to see you.¨
¨I'm glad you came.¨ Eddy replied. ¨Look, we'll find a way.¨
¨We'll find a way.¨ Brett repeated. Then he sighed and seemed to square his shoulders.
¨Right, let's just try and forget about it hey? Because I like you a lot, not just that way.¨
Eddy smiled for the first time since it had all happened. 
¨Likewise. Come on, let's get that bubble tea then, huh?¨

By the time they had walked into the bubble tea shop, ordered their drinks and sat down at the same table they had occupied that afternoon, Eddy did actually feel a bit better. 
He felt like it had been about a year since they'd sat here last, not just a few hours. Like he'd lived through so many experiences, that he had been changed profoundly.
And as he sat and chatted to his best friend, he felt like he had it under control now. 
They could do this. They could just be friends. Best friends.