XXIX

It had all become so much easier since that day. They'd basically settled into a rhythm of school, homework, and spending time together. They were pretty much joined at the hip now, so much so that most everyone simply referred to the two of them as ¨Brett and Eddy¨ as if it were one word by this point. Eddy loved the sound of that word. 
Both their parents seemed fine with their friendship and them spending so much time together as well, because they both made very sure they had their work done. It was simple: neither of them would risk doing anything that could stop them from being allowed to be together. In fact, Eddy got the very distinct the feeling his mum felt that Brett was a good influence on him. The thought made him smile. 
The dreams hadn't stopped though and Eddy still found them difficult to deal with. He'd also been way too embarrassed to tell Brett anything about them, and that made him feel a little guilty. He told Brett basically everything else about his life, after all. 
And the pull between them was still there, of course. But he'd learned to ignore it, pretty much, over the last months. They hadn't talked about any of that shit again. They'd done enough talking on that one big, big day in the park. 

Today he was ignoring everything, anyway, because it was a BIG day in another way: they were both auditioning for the serious orchestra camp: AYO Young Symphonists. 
He'd worked hard, really hard on the exerpts they'd given them. They'd practiced together a lot as well, sometimes both playing first, sometimes one of them playing first and one of them second. He knew neither of them could have done any more to prepare, but he was still really nervous. 
He looked at the clock for the millionth time that morning. Funny how looking at the clock never seemed to make it go any faster, hey? He rolled his eyes at himself and sniggered, making sure for the one hundredth time that he had everything he needed ready to go. 
Brett and he had been allowed to travel to the audition, somewhere at the other end of Brisbane, all by themselves. It was exciting... if only Brett would get here already!

Although he'd been waiting for it he still startled when the bell rang. Gah! He was jumpy today!
He ran down the stairs and opened the door for his best friend. 
¨Hey you! Ready for it all?¨ Brett said, and Eddy could see straight away that he was just as nervous as he was. 
¨As ready as I'll ever get, I guess...¨ Eddy replied, knowing full well that Brett could see through him too. ¨Shall we get going?¨
¨Yeah, I'll just go toilet one more time.¨ Brett said, and Eddy sniggered lightly. Brett had just come from his home, five minutes away. He must be super-nervous. 

A couple of minutes later they were on their way to the bus stop, just two lads with violins on their back, not saying much. 
¨I will die if I don't make first, I really will.¨ Brett said after a bit. 
Brett had actually already been in the top AYO orchestra last year, but he'd been back desk second. Eddy knew there was a fairly good chance that would be where he himself would end up this year. But he hoped not...
¨I just want to be deskies!¨ he replied. 
Brett nodded enthusiastically as he bus arrived and they got on, automatically walking all the way to the back. There were a few other kids with instrument cases on board already. Brett sat down and Eddy sat next to him. 
Oh, but Brett was so close now! He was much closer than they usually sat together. Eddy closed his eyes and allowed himself a brief moment of enjoying the touch of their upper legs, Brett's warmth flowing into him so comfortably that he wanted to move his head and lean against him...  shit!
He opened his eyes quickly and he reminded himself again that they were just best friends. 
He saw something in Brett's eyes, though, when he turned and caught his gaze, that made him think that he wasn't the only one affected. Whoa. 
He was glad when they arrived at their stop and could get off the bus.