XX

He sat behind his computer and willed the red man by Brett's name to turn green. 
His mother hadn't been very happy about the fact that he'd agreed to meet Brett after school the next day and make his homework in the evening. The only way he'd seen to get what he wanted was to promise to start straight away, and he'd sat there for the last hour trying to focus. 
Brett had said he'd send him a message later. Where was he?
He sighed, and shook his head miserably. Please. he willed the red man. Please turn green. 
But it resolutely stayed red. 
Maybe Brett's mum had told him not to come online?
Yeah, maybe. Or maybe Brett was sad. Sad, because Eddy was trying to get it together. Had he hurt his best friend in the process? 
He shook his head as hard as he could to rid himself of all the negative thoughts, and then he went to brush his teeth. 
Please. Just let Brett be okay. 

He must have fallen asleep eventually, because the alarm clock dragged him out of chaotic dreams full of disjointed images. 
His head hurt. 
He got up and walked over to his computer, to see if Brett had ever sent him a message. But no, there was nothing. An uneasy feeling spread in Eddy's chest. Was he even okay? Had he made it home okay? 
He whirled around to turn his phone on and typed. 

    'Hey bro, never saw you on MSN yesterday, are you okay? Did you get home alright?'

He looked at the phone, willing it to buzz. But it wouldn't. 
Miserably he got his stuff together and made his way to the kitchen. 
¨Good morning Eddy!¨ his mum said brightly. 
¨Good morning¨, he mumbled non-commitally. He really, really, really didn't need the third degree right now. 
He popped some bread in the toaster. He'd have to pretend to take it with him to eat on the way, for there was no way food was going in his mouth right now. 
His mouth was dry, anyway. 
¨I'm off to school, mum, just have to talk through some school stuff with a classmate, okay?¨ He lied, smoothly. 
¨What classmate?¨ his mum asked, her tone stern. 
Crap. He should have thought that one through better. But then, he had to tell her about Lily anyway. 
¨Oh, her name is Lily.¨ he said, and his bright tone sounded fake to his ears. ¨She's Asian too, and she's nice. We're thinking about going to the dance together Saturday.¨
That would do. That sounded quite relaxed. His mum frowned though. 
¨A girl? You're taking her to the dance?¨
He shrugged. ¨She's just a friend, mum. That's okay, isn't it?¨
She nodded slowly. ¨Yes, it's okay.¨
¨Thank you mum¨, he said. ¨Anyway, I've got to go!¨

He didn't think he'd fooled her. Crap. But at least he was free to go now. He put his shoes on in double time and closed the front door behind him.
Once he was out of the street he slowed down his pace. He was early, of course. He breathed deeply, trying to calm his nerves. Seriously, if the guy didn't text him back in the next five minutes he was using some of his minutes and calling him. 
He had to know. In fact, sod the five minutes. He was calling now
He picked up his phone eagerly and dialed. It rang, once, twice, three times. Four times. Shit, it would go to voice mail in a second. He hung up and called again and listened to it ring again. 
After another three rings finally, finally, Brett picked up. 
¨Hey, Eddy!¨ he said. 
Eddy sagged in relief and put his hand over his eyes. Brett was talking. He was alive, he'd picked up the phone and he was talking.
¨Hey! I was just wondering if you were okay! I never heard back.¨ he said, mentally kicking himself. Way to sound needy, mate. 
¨I'm sorry, Eddy. I shouldn't have worried you.¨ Brett's voice came, but it was strangely soft, and it didn't quite sound right. ¨My mum's fine with us practicing this afternoon, you still good with that?¨
Eddy wanted to ask him a thousand questions, but he didn't. Brett was a guy, after all. If he wanted to tell him, he would tell him himself. It would be wrong to ask. So he just replied:
¨Yeah, I've cleared it with my mum. I'll pick up my violin quickly and come straight to you after school¨
¨Cool!¨ Brett said, in that weird voice. 
So he had to ask. He had to. 
¨Brett, are you okay?¨
It took a moment for the response to come. 
¨Yeah mate, I'm fine.¨
He didn't buy it though. Crap.